PDA

View Full Version : Older Model 110 question

kemmercur
07-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Is a negative feature of having the clip release in the side of the stock on the older model 110? I'm want to build a 264 Win Mag I have found two Savage 110's in 7mm Mag with the clip release on the right side of the stock. Any words of wisdom on buy one of them or should I find a later model? Thanks

LHitchcox
07-15-2011, 09:58 AM
I have one in a 110CL that was made in the early 1970s. It is a solid and accurate gun. It was my first left hand rifle and I plan to keep it forever. Hope that answers your question.

sharpshooter
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
The bad thing about those old models is the availbility of stocks, and good bottom metal. The early ones had aluminum mag frames, then they were plastic. The later ones were in a synthetic stock with that part molded in. The magazine set up sometimes can be a pain. If I were planning a build, I'd use something current, just for the ease of parts available.

kemmercur
07-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replys. The rifles are on GB and I can not check out the bottom metal. I may start checking the pawn shops and watching the item up for sale on here. Thanks again, Bob

LHitchcox
07-15-2011, 03:38 PM
You are right about the odd J Series action length. It wouldn't be something to add custom stocks to, but if you are satisfied with the wood stock and it is a good price buy it. Otherwise, hold out for a recent production that aftermarket stocks are readily available for. I am still looking for a left hand laminate stock for my 7-08 centerfeed, so current production may not be easy either.