PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage 93R GV in 17HMR... frustrating

DreamMaker
07-14-2011, 11:44 AM
This accuracy of this rifle is frustrating. I can't get a decent 5 shot group out of it. I may get a couple of shots touching @ 100 yards, but then fliers up to 1.5 -2" off the mark. I make it a point to shoot in zero winds or into low winds. I did open of the barrel channel and it's definitely FF back to the receiver. Bases and rings properly torqued. Shooting Hornady and Federal 17 & 20 grain ammo. The only unknown is the Mueller 4-14x40 scope. It's the cheapest scope I own, only bought it because I read some good reviews in the rimfire forum. If these rifles, or ammo, are not capable of consistent 1 MOA, or less, don't know that I will keep it.

What's the story with the 17HMR in general and Savage rifles.

DreamMaker
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Well I learned a couple of things yesterday. This first was by accident when I went to remove the stock for umteenth time. I happened to have the bolt closed, but the handle was up. When I started to loosen the action screws, rifle butt resting on bench, the bolt slid open just by gravity. Pretty sure sign the action was binding up. I seated the action screws and the added 1/4 additional turn and made sure the receiver and barrel didn't move around.

Earlier I noticed getting a clear sight picture, @ 14 power, required an abnormal amount effort. This situation was further exacerbated by the very light cheek weld I was able to obtain. As I worked with the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40AO sight picture, off a steady rest, I was able to see the cross hair move 1/2 - 3/4 MOA with the slightest head movement. Far more touchy than my other scopes. I actually shot 2 other of my rifles @ 14 power just to verify the difference.

The good news is that I was able to shoot some nice groups well under 1 MOA - much better. If I keep this stock, that's the current plan, I'll have to make a Kydex cheek rest for it and look into bedding the action. The Mueller scope is damn clear and bright considering what it cost, but I don't know if I'll get use to it... time will tell.

The take away is this Savage will shoot, but odds are you will need to FF the barrel and dick around with action screws. Note - I was no where near the 45 - 65 inch pounds typically used recommended. Right now I would say the action is just snugged into the stock. The wood stock that comes with the 93R17 GV is pretty soft and barrel channel is tight and irregular. These 2 thing alone could explain why other have had accuracy problems with this model.

Walt T
07-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Get the DIP heavy bottom metal kit that fits your rifle...
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602

Take a deep well socket that closely fits the barrel channel in your stock, wrap it with 150 grit sandpaper and run it back and forth until the channel is even and you can pass a dollar bill under the full length of the barrel with the action mounted in the stock. Seal the bare wood with a coat of Tru-Oil. Your barrel is now free floated. When you mount with the heavy bottom metal, only tighten until the action is snug, no more-you can then tune screw tightness for accuracy, but you may not need to. The whole job will take about an hour.
Save the bedding for a last resort.
Or, you could just get a Boyds stock, the DIP Bottom metal, scope rail, and trigger guard as I did with my BV...
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/005-19.jpg
My MKII G sits in the BV's stock, but is just waiting for the trigger guard to assume a similar transformation...
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/002-18.jpg
Good luck with your rifle, I know you'll get it right ;D

DreamMaker
07-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi Walt - I had free floated the barrel prior to making my first post. Funny thing is I used a deep well socket, just as you described, to open up the barrel channel. I guess great minds think alike.

How do you like your Boyds stock. Does is support the action better - front and rear - than the standard GV stock? Is it heavier or lighter than the GV stock. Thanks for the link on DIP accessories.

John

gtriever
07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
The take away is this Savage will shoot, but odds are you will need to FF the barrel and dick around with action screws. Note - I was no where near the 45 - 65 inch pounds typically used recommended. Right now I would say the action is just snugged into the stock. The wood stock that comes with the 93R17 GV is pretty soft and barrel channel is tight and irregular. These 2 thing alone could explain why other have had accuracy problems with this model.

Don't know where you came up with 45-65 in/lbs for rimfire stocks. Savage rimfires do better with anywhere from 8-18 in/lbs. The method I use is to start around 8, then snug up 1 in/lb at a time until the groups worsen, and then back off to the best grouping.

DreamMaker
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I should have be more specific. Those are common torque settings used by Remington, Manners, HS Precision, etc for bedded synthetic stocks. I was trying to make the point I wasn't torquing the GV stock anywhere near those specs.

gtriever
07-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Rifleman51
08-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Send the scope back to Mueller, they will send a new one out right away, their APV scopes are pretty good, but like any scope can go bad and don't shoot them on a heavy recoiling rifle, they are made for light recoil.
Torque just snug, 90% of the Savage RF rifles shoot best this way. Savage recommends 15 inch pounds, but they shoot better just snugged.
If you don't have it, get the heavy bottom metal, DIP and www.savagegunsmithing.com both sell excellent metal. The SGS costs a little more but isn't stamped with a logo. I don't like my rifle to be a walking billboard.
The DIP scope rail is excellent, available saying "Savage" on it or not.
Try as many different brands and weights of ammo as possible, I know most are made at the same place, but most 17's have one they shoot the best.
Be sure you have a solid shooting table and a good front rest with god rear bags that fit the rifle.
You'll get it shooting, John