PDA

View Full Version : SharpShooter - Can you tell a factory straightened barrel ?

Hammer
07-13-2011, 01:09 PM

SharpShooter,

Can you tell a Savage factory straightened barrel just by looking at it ?

Can you tell how much Savage bent it (straightened it?) and in what direction ?

Can you tell which person at Savage bent it ?

Hammer

sharpshooter
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
The only barrels that they straighten are the sporter barrels. Hard to say which way the kinks were. The barrel straightener puts his unique stamp on the barrel.

Hammer
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Do you think the straightening does any good ?

sharpshooter
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
If it didn't, I'm sure they would not waste time on it. It is an aquired skill that takes a good amount of experience to master. If they didn't do it, most would not fit the stock properly.

Hammer
07-13-2011, 04:22 PM

They could make crooked stocks to match the crooked barrels.

Samdweezel05
07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
The real question is...if it's bent in the correct direction, would it eliminate the need for a 20 MOA scope base when shooting at long ranges?

pdog06
07-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Dont you guys know that they make those bent barrels so that you can actually hide completely behind the tree and still be able to shoot around it.....Why would we take that advantage away???

Phil, yes, I believe it could eliminate the need for the 20moa base...but if it is bent 180deg the other way you would have to install the base backwards.

Moore
07-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Hammer - I worked in manufacturing for over 40 years and straightening bars and tubes is a common process. If done correctly you can not tell by looking if a bar or tube has been straightened. If not done correctly you can tell and if you can tell by looking there is a high probably it is not straight.

Hammer
07-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Moore,

I hear ya'.

What works in manufacturing, and what doesn't work, always interest me.

I have seen some operations that one group thinks is child's play and they make perfect output and yet another group with the same technology and materials cannot make good stuff to save their lives.

Myself, I would have a difficult time even determining if it was straight.

Eric in NC
07-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Seen some interesting stuff on barrel straightening during my M1 garand research. Collimators, skilled workers (mostly ladies during WW2), and voodoo seem to be involved.

Line Materials Corp. (of Birmingham - makers of LMR M1 barrels) seem to have been the masters of it, but they were working post war and had time to get it RIGHT.

jonbearman
07-15-2011, 06:51 PM
I worked straightening stock at kodak and once you get the hang of it ,it is simple. It is easy with a hydraulic press which is what they probably use.

sharpshooter
07-16-2011, 12:28 AM
No hydraulics involved, just a big overhead screw connected to a captain's wheel. All done with a naked eye looking at reflections from a backlit light box and a coat hanger. Knowing where to place the barrel in the blocks and how much to squeeze takes acquired skill. When I was at the plant in '05, a new guy just got cut loose to do it solo. He told me the guy that trained him wanted to retire, but they would not let him until he trained someone to take over. He trained for 6 months.

jonbearman
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Now that is old school but I bet it works real good. A coathanger though,LOL , Now thats crude,LOL but it probably works. Yes it does have to do with the way you set it in the blocks of wood. That is the way I did it at Kodak. I got my experience initially from straightening aluminum arrow shafts after they got bent. I got so good that I could do it with compound bends with my kneee out on the course. People would walk up to me and say,are you the guy that straightens arrows and I had to do it to help them out. I learned alot from that experience and it carried over at Kodak. People were amazed how I could just look at it and make the decision where to apply pressure in order to not knik the tube.Maybe I should apply for a job at savage arms. You never know.