PDA

View Full Version : My Model 11-243

willyp
07-13-2011, 03:13 AM
It sat in the box for two years! Near deer season,last year,i figured to get it up and running,for my 12 year old granson? I ran some patches down the bore and mounted a Sightron scope on her! People say Savages are ugly,but shes a beauty? Nice wood,glossy,sparkley bluing and proud of her new scope!
I took her out on a date[to the range],and fed her some new factory loads.
After 2 shots and a cleaning,i ran my hand down the barrel,to see how hot it might be? Low and behold,there is a dent in the darn barrel,about 10 inches back!!!!!!!!! It is under the bluing,no rust,from the factory! My heart sunk!!! What the heck? After another shot,i figured,dent and all,to see how it would shoot.
Well,it quit extracting the cases,i had to push the out or raise the rifle and dumped them out!!!!! I got a new extracter[sp],and that helped, but i couldn't get one intime for deer season. I got him an old Mod.340E 30-30,to use.
Early this spring,i started work on finding her best load[dent and all]. It was like shooting a wet noodle!!!! Bullets all over the paper????? Well,lets try bedding the thing? I take it home and tear it down and do what you do to bed you rifle,the tape and clay and release agent,mix the bedding stuf,put it in the stock ! I lay the barreled action down into the stock and start the front bolt in,go the the rear bolt and it wont go in????
The trigger guard droped down,where the bolt goes up in!!!!!! What the !!!!!! The darn rear pillar fell out!!!!!!! What a mess!!! Take it apart,clean it up and glue the rear pillar back in! I 'm thinking,what a pain in my, is there a lemon law for guns?????
I persevered! It now shoots less than 1/2 inch,5 shot groups,at 100 yards,100 grain bullets!!
I guess my point is "Check them darn pillars", they do come loose?

handirifle
08-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Wow, that's a lot of crap for one rifle. Sounds like a Fri afternoon gun for sure. Glad got it shootin though. You might run a very tight patch down the bore to see if it hangs up where the dent is, just to make sure it didn't penetrate all the way.