PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 results

Woodser
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Bought a new Stevens in 223 in late Sept.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/WoodsRuner/Cnv0014.jpg
Final site-in for a 55SX-IMR3031 load. First three shots in same hole at far left. Walking it over, last shot dead center. Small bull represents a 200 yard zero.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/WoodsRuner/Cnv0016.jpg
Three more shots for final check. 3 in 0.331" CTC. Not too shabby for a $300 rifle with a $70 scope. Only modification from factory: glass bedded the recoil lug (not the whole action, just the recoil lug). Factory lug, factory stock.

I am, once again, a happy Savage shooter. ;D

dolomite_supafly
11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
My Stevens 200 in 223 has shot .2’s on occasion and .3’s with some regularity. It will almost always shoot ½ inch at 100 using my hand loads. I had a problem with heat related drift in mine so I had the barrel shortened to 18”, outside turned concentric to the bore and then a tensioning sleeve added. It now shoots just as good whether the barrel is hot or cold. That is a factory barrel under the sleeve that is shooting this well.

I set mine in a Stockade PDS/T stock and installed their bolt lift kit as well as their 5/8” tactical bolt handle. Another addition that made a world of difference was the SSS Competition trigger. It was easy to install and adjust by me. It has been 100% reliable and for the money it is a great deal.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/Picture471.jpg

The scope in the picture is a Centerpoint 4-16 Mildot. I have since replaced that with a Hawke 3-12 Mildot and couldn’t be happier. Definitely better that the Centerpoint as far as quality goes.

The future holds truing the action, new recoil lug and a bed job. I will do the bedding myself using Devcon Steel Putty.

Anyways, glad to see your Stevens is a shooter. They are probably the best value in centerfires today.

Dolomite

Woodser
11-03-2009, 04:18 PM
We have the exact same scope on our Stevens. At least we did. Walmart?
I am amazed this thing is shooting this well with no modifications. Liked it so much
I went and bought another a week ago in 308. ;D

You can expect some degree of heat drift with any sporter barrel. I have not owned one that didn't. Rem, Win, Ruger, Savage: made no difference. Since this is a ground hog gun, chances are it will never get hot enough to make any real difference.

dolomite_supafly
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Funny I did almost the same, I bought a 308 Stevens then bought this 223 a month later when I realized what a value these rifles are. My 308 is now a 45 ACP for my wife.

Dolomite

ellobo
11-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Gee, all that accuracy with that flimsy limp plastic stock. How can that possibly be? (note the sarcasm here.)

El Lobo

Woodser
11-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Gee, all that accuracy with that flimsy limp plastic stock. How can that possibly be? (note the sarcasm here.)

El Lobo

I know. Amazing, ain't it? To think, no expensive aftermarket stock required. No tearing it apart to install a new recoil lug. Will it shoot one hole groups all day long? No chance. Will it kill every groundhog and coyote that has the misfortune to be in front of it's crosshairs? You betcha. ;D

cutter37372
11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Got 5 of 'em not a better value or shooter for the money! Also, great to build on.
300 WM
30-06
338 FED
And one long action to be built into a 338 WM
Of course none are factory stock but, three still have the factory tupperware. and they all shoot better than me!

Cutter