PDA

View Full Version : SST Hornady-150gr-col?

willyp
07-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Any of you folks have a Hornady manual that gives a col,for the 308 Win?

airaddict
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
i shoot those along w the GMX, interbond and amax's and if i recall correctly i seat mine at what the hornady books says which is 2.735. the amaxs are the exception and i seat those to 2.800 as the book recommends.

im gonna play w seating depth now since my new mcgowan barrels has a shorter throat that allows me to get closer to the rifling than the factory barrel ever did. i got decent accuracy for a factory barrel. usually .75-1".

if u have specific questions let me know and ill consult my loadbook
and the hornady data once i get home in a while.

brian

airaddict
07-11-2011, 08:46 PM
i just consulted my load book data and my memory was correct. for 150gr sst's the coal is 2.735.

i load mine w 44.5 gr of varget and get 2625fps which is on the light side. i think the max hornady lists is 44.9 which is very conservative cuz speer lists varget data at more than 46 gr. so i gues it would suit someone to work up a load till u see pressure signs and work down from there. i dont need high velocity
high power load since i never shoot above 300 yrds.
brian

bootsmcguire
07-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I have been loading the 150 SST with Varget at 45.0gr and I figured I was light by my book. If I recall my Lee and my Hodgdon manual list 44.0 as a start and 47.0 as a max.

Each manual is different. All I know for sure is 45.0 works for me.

willyp
07-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Thank you folks,for the info. That was what i have looking for.

dacaur
07-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Hey since you have the hornady load book handy, what the coal for the 165gr sst's please? and what are the min and max loads for varget? All I have been able to find is 32.6-44gr, but thats not for the sst's specifically....

airaddict
07-16-2011, 07:57 AM
it actually dosent have the165 sst in this data. it does have that gr bulllet in SP & BTSP and both COAL is listed at 2.750. i persoanlly dont mind using data that dosnt show the exact bullet im using as long as the bullet weight is the same. it just takes some working from the min on up to make sure u dont have pressure issues.

the varget loads from hornandy data are: 32.6gr (2100fps),34.9gr (2200fps), 37.1gr (2300fps), 39.4gr (2400fps), 41.7gr (2500fps), 44gr (2600fps).

what i have done in the past if i cant find a listed coal and the bullet had a cannalure, i would seat it to where 2/3 of the cann. was below the case mouth and go from there. i wouldnt crimp it of course but its a starting point.

or if u dont have the tool to test how far a bullet can be seated to touch the lands, u can seat a dummy round out far and then try to chamber it. keep seating the bullet deeper till it will chamber. thats not as pin point accuurate as the COAL tool but its a start.

even the sierra and barnes data has 165gr bullets seated at a COAL of 2.750". but speer data has them as 2.800".

hope this helps.
brian

dacaur
07-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Yea thats helpfull, thank you for looking that up.... I wonder why they dont have the sst's listed, is that a new bullet?

But on the COAL, I have been seating them for an OAL of 2.8.... Empty brass with a bullet seated to 2.8 chambers easily without any marks on the bullet. Since these are long bullets, I used the measurment hornady gives for their BTHP and A-maxx bullets.... I would say the sst's are much more similar to an A-max than a SP... Comparing a SP to an SST, the bullet reaches its major diameter much further back on the sst. Comparing a SP loaded to 2.75 and a sst loaded to 2.8, it looks to me like the widest portion of the bullet is in about the same place, while if they were loaded to 2.75, the sst's would have a much longer bullet jump before contacting the rifling than the SP's....

psharon97
07-17-2011, 01:59 AM
My go to load for the bullet is 45 grains of IMR 4895. No pressure signs out of the 200 that I loaded and shot out of my rifle.

airaddict
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
when i measured OAL w my gauge of course the length was way over 2.8. more like 2.820. i doubt those would fit in the mag but i know in my old factory barrel, it had a crazy long jump to the lands just cuz they throat deeper to ensure the biggest bullets ,180+, wouldnt touch the lands. my mcgowan throat is much better. i should be getting my PTG ogive comparator soon so ill be able to get more accurate OAL measurements.

i kept my sst and gmx's at the books listed length just cuz i had no other choice. and hornady says those two bullets are supposedly identical in shape to make reloading data interchangable.

the amax OAL is the exception in my opinion just cuz of the more streamlined profile of the bullet to lessen wind effects.

even my 110 gr vmax bullets can reach the lands and still be inside the case neck. not by much but it can be done.

brian