PDA

View Full Version : Victory or Defeat?

Dogbone
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I’m claiming victory. Do you think I should or not? Here’s the deal.

We have to go back to June 30 when I got the pumpkin eater and my story “Success – Or Dumb Luck”.
After I shot that one, I drove over to the second field to see if I could spot the other hog that the farmer says has been eating pumpkins there too. It was maybe twenty minutes at most when the hog in question shows up at the back of the field, about 175 yards from where I sitting in my truck. It’s around 7 in the evening. I put the crosshairs of the Savage on him and pull the trigger. He runs off. >:(

Now you know and I know that hogs run off all the time when shot. I will admit that I did not go check it out cause I’d have to trample some hay and probably some pumpkins, so I decided to bail. I should have fessed up to the “miss”, but didn’t. Just figured I’d get another chance at a later time. ;)

Well I’ve been back several more times and set up on him/her at different times of the day and it’s been a no show each and every time, including this morning. :o

I say I got it and should claim victory. I’ll let you decide. ;D

Uncle Jack
07-09-2011, 02:20 PM
My good buddy, "Little Augie from Detroit" says, "No body, no crime."

uj

irondog54
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
not sure what you mean... ground hogs or pigs. If you are taking pot shots at pigs and not following up on them, shame on you.

irondog54
07-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I went back and red the first post. I say ya got him! never mind the comment about pigs.

sharpshooter
07-15-2011, 11:21 AM
By simple rules.....that's an unconfirmed kill, or hit for that matter.

druid w/stick
07-15-2011, 03:18 PM
You should always follow up! Ground hogs are very good table fare. Waste not want not .
Druid

pdog06
07-16-2011, 06:07 PM
The fact that it hasnt showed up since could mean that he's tired of being shot at...LOL

I had a similar ordeal.
Last fall I shot at one in my back yard with my bow(40 yds). It too ran off and down its hole. I did check it out and couldnt find any blood, or my arrow. I just wrote it off as a miss and maybe the arrow skipped into the field, but I too have not seen the groundhog since. Since I didnt see blood I still call it a miss, but I do gotta admit it does have me wondering........

rez187
07-16-2011, 09:27 PM
dogbone ive shot a ton of animals and always follow up, you know how long a gut shot animal can live? unethical or not is up to you to decide and im not gonna condemn you as i know the frustrations of hogs tearing up livelihood but just think about taking a look next time. it is cases like this that anti hunters use against us.

rez187
07-17-2011, 08:11 PM
or get out of the truck and walk my family farms and no farmer wants the field destroyed as money is tight but dont shoot an animal if you cant get to it, it's that simple have some ethics so the sport will continue

adam330
07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
The rules are simple "No body, No kill"

Martin
07-19-2011, 02:51 AM
I wonder how long it will be before Dogbone post again? Not soon I bet after all this BS.
Martin

forger
07-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Sorry, but I am still wondering if we're about groundhogs or feral hogs. In the case of groundhogs, obviously if they have "gone to ground", there is little you can do. Tell me now, who here has not had a groundhog make it back to the hole ? I've had some which were standing beside their hole..just fall right in after being shot.