PDA

View Full Version : lrp barrels ?

rocksteady
07-09-2011, 02:27 AM
not sure if this has been covered already and am sorry if it has but who is the barrel maker for the savage lrp?

thirty06
07-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Savage makes there own barrels.

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Savage makes there own barrels.

Yeah In a cave deep in the woods using a secret process to be sure your gun will shoot 1" groups out of the box.

I heard something about the hair of a toad and toe nails of a special worm being mixed into the cutting oil. ;D

Uncle Jack
07-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Bill, you forgot the virgins blood.

uj

VjjR
07-09-2011, 04:55 PM
the hair of a toad and toe nails of a special worm being mixed into the cutting oil. ;D

its a multipurpose cooking oil they use to fry raccoon scales and rabbit cloaca for lunch

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Bill, you forgot the virgins blood.

uj

Sorry UJ it has been so long since I heard that word used now I have to go to the dictionary to see what it means before I use it again.

rocksteady
07-10-2011, 04:05 PM
do they hand lap the barrels? is the quality comparable to a shilin or something of that nature? i was looking at purchasing the factory barrel off a lrp from a vendor on this forum but the price was in the $250-275 range.....just wondering why the steep price. and the barrel is cro-molly as well not stainless steel

Eric in NC
07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
No hand lap - just standard button rifle. Chorome Moly is no problem - very good barrels made of chrome moly steel.

Savage factory barrels aren't as good as custom aftermarket barrels (in terms of interior finish) but many will shoot close to as good as big $ custom barrels.

jinx-)
07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't won't to be party pooper, but the LRP I bought secret ingredients were mixed my a rookie. Heavy machine marks, unfinished and off-center chamber and sharp edges on the crown and throat cut for 1:10 twist, but barrel had 1:8, as the result it shot shotgun patterns and stringing. My gunsmith told me, that whoever did this had no idea how to make barrels, well maybe wine barrels ;). But this is just me, I got that special touch, defects you can't ever think off emerge, otherwise you are safe ;D

Eric in NC
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't won't to be party pooper, but the LRP I bought secret ingredients were mixed my a rookie. Heavy machine marks, unfinished and off-center chamber and sharp edges on the crown and throat cut for 1:10 twist, but barrel had 1:8, as the result it shot shotgun patterns and stringing. My gunsmith told me, that whoever did this had no idea how to make barrels, well maybe wine barrels ;). But this is just me, I got that special touch, defects you can't ever think off emerge, otherwise you are safe ;D

Tell me about throat cut for a 10 and barrel for a 8 - never seen a throat cut for a twist. How does that happen?

jinx-)
07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
faster twist requires longer throat to handle heavier longer bullets, that's why they make faster twist... For that barrel manufactures use different rimer of course if you have hunting model in 10 and target model in 8 twist, you should order different reamer to cut specific throat, why do you need faster twist when you can't seat long bullets which are design for such twist, why would you buy Porsche and fill it up with regular?

memilanuk
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
The barrels are gun-drilled, reamed to size, and then rifled all in house. They are not lapped. Depending on who is running the machinery and how much time/care they take with the set-up you may get more or less visible tool marks in the rifling. The chambers are done on production machinery, not one at a time. Some of the Target Action barrels get more TLC during this stage - little better setup before cutting, flex-honing the finished chamber, etc. Why they usually shoot as well as they do... beats the heck out of me. There are exceptions to every rule, and some people have an absolute knack for finding the defects from any production line - jinx is one of those folks ;) I will still/again disagree about the 10 vs. 8 twist bit... unlike him I've shot more than one .260 Rem for a hundred or so rounds. The chamber reamer they use isn't ideal, but it is bog standard SAAMI spec for that caliber, so you get what you get, like it or not.

jinx-)
07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
I guess its just me, but I didn't like the idea of seating bullets way pass shoulders. By the way for 6MM BR they have fast twist 1:8 and slow 1:12,then would you say they use same reamer on both?

memilanuk
07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Seating that deep isn't something I'd prefer, but its not the end of the world either. Look at pretty much any AR15 running 69-77gn mag length loads - some of those will surprise you with their accuracy despite the bullet being seated way down past the neck-shoulder junction. If I were king, then yes, the 12 LRP in .260 Rem would have gotten a longer throat. But from a factory standpoint... using a one-off reamer for one gun that is probably not going to sell a fraction as well as their hunting rifles (in terms of quantity) doesn't make a lot of sense.

I haven't gotten my hands on both the fast and slow twist 6BRs; couldn't say for sure. It's a slightly different creature anyways - there isn't just *one* factory standard chamber. On the other hand... the factory 6mm BR (8" tw) and 6.5-284 (8" tw) throats are almost *too* long, and the factory .223 Rem chamber in the 30" 12 F/TR isn't my idea of 'right' for the application either - but it was the balance they chose between what was available to them and what would satisfy most people. They can't make everybody happy all the time, etc.

jinx-)
07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Now I'm shooting their 6mm BR in 1:8 twist and I like long throat, I can load more then 30 gr of Varget and still have room for more. The only thing I don't like is pressure variance from cold barrel with every shot, also I had gunsmith to redo its chamber, it had to many reamer marks and bolt was very hard to cycle.