PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 In 22-250

dirtfarmer
07-08-2011, 10:17 PM
OK, here's the deal. My cousin just called me and said he traded for a rifle. He thinks I need it. It's a model 10 in 22-250, very long bull barrel, oversize bolt handle and plastic stock with a nikon 6x18x40 scope. It's got a little surface rust and the crown on the barrel has a dent. He said other than that, its very clean and looks to be all original. I have seen them with bull barrels and oversize bolt handles but not the extra long barrel. What is it? I can get it pretty cheap. Think I'll get it just to see what it is. I've already got 2 Stevens 200 and love them 223 and 22-250 and a Savage 93 in 17hmr. I'm happy I came here today and let me talk myself into another Savage.

airaddict
07-08-2011, 10:37 PM
worse come to worse part it out on here. im pretty sure you will find takers! lol

anyway, u can never go wrong with another savage, your bank account may but you will be happy...ha

brian

82boy
07-09-2011, 12:04 AM
OK, here's the deal. My cousin just called me and said he traded for a rifle. He thinks I need it. It's a model 10 in 22-250, very long bull barrel, oversize bolt handle and plastic stock with a nikon 6x18x40 scope... What is it?
Sounds like someones project.

Savage offered several variations of the model 10. The original is a sporter barrel gun with a wood stock, its counterpart would be the model 11. They also called the law enforcement guns model 10's. They have a plastic stock, parkerized finish, varmint contour barrel finished at either 20 or 24 inches, and was chambered in either 223 rem, or 308 Win. Savage also offers a predator, and precision carbine in a model 10, and they have in-between sporter, and varmint barrels, and have camo finishes. What you could have is a model 12FV, they cam blued with a 26 inch varmint profile barrel, and a plastic stock. If it is a factory barreled Savage it should have a roll mark on the side of the barrel that is horizontal. If it does not or the mark does not line up, it is someone project. Most higher end savage rifles have the BT or over sized bolt handle standard. The scope is not factory.

dirtfarmer
07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Well, I couldn't stand knowing there was a rifle living in unwanted conditions so I went and picked it up today. Its a model 12, the barrel is 25 inches from the back of the nut(wasn't sure where to measure from). It has Savages stamp on the barrel and on top it has (sp8 and under that 18) stamped on it. It's got an accu-trigger and the safety is sorta football shaped. The stock has the indian head on the bottom. It looks like a factory stevens 200 stock to me. The bolt holes in the stock are 4.4?? inches. A little surface rust is the only thing I could find wrong with it. I picked it up for less than the scope cost new. Thinking this is gonna be my first Savage build. Ideas??

82boy
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Its a model 12, the barrel is 25 inches from the back of the nut(wasn't sure where to measure from).

The barrel is 26 inches long, it is measured from the bolt face to the muzzle.

The gun you got is a 12FV. yes the stock it the same as a Stevens 200 only black. The accu-trigger guns have a different safety and what you have is correct. With a 4.4 bolt spacing it would be a center feed action. Try shooting it in its factory form, before you decide to change it, you should be very happy with the way it preforms.