PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Nut Interchangability

Cycler
07-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I have an older Model 16 Accutrigger but pre-Accustock that has the standard fluted barrel nut. I also have a brand new Model 16 Accustock with the new smooth nut. Both are short action, small shank actions.

Since I don't want to buy two different nut wrenches and the smooth nut seems to be more of a problem to deal with, I have a question. If I have the smooth nut removed, (gunsmith, pipe wrench, etc.) can I replace it with one of the older type fluted nuts and will it fit properly in the Accustock? If so, one nut wrench will work for both actions.

r29l20
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Yup, they will interchange. :)

airaddict
07-08-2011, 09:45 PM
+1 on that.

iive asked that quest to savage cust serv and they told me they were not interchangable which SSS confirmed is a hot load of BS! they say the nuts are the same except for the grooves for the wrench. i already pulled mine off my model 16 and will replace w a reg grooved nut for ease of removal to switch barrels.

brian

Cycler
07-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Great, I can order a replacement nut from midway or SSS. How did you remove the smooth nut?

LHitchcox
07-08-2011, 10:15 PM
There is a special wrench for it- check SSS or maybe Northland, or you could use a pipe wrench and replace it with a slotted nut.

airaddict
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
i bought the wrench from SSS but later found someone who wanted the smooth nut and wrench so i got my money back on the wrench. in hind sight i should have taken a pipe wrench to it. No use in buying a tool im only gonna use once and save myself time and effort of shipping it to someone else. JMHO.

brian