PDA

View Full Version : 926 yard antelope pistol kill (video)

Pages : 1 [2]

rivermud
08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Dont get cappuccino on the couch!! :o

Samdweezel05
08-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I say nice shot. It was a pistol being used. As soon as you can't use your shoulder to steady the weapon, it's a whole nother world. You want to talk ethical, have you ever seen how farm raised animals are killed and processed?

Blue Avenger
09-17-2011, 09:18 AM
don't like pistol as a description, then use handgun.
what do you get when you put a rifled barrel on your 500 mossburg shotgun?

rifle- A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves ("rifling") cut into the barrel walls.

shotgun-A shotgun (also known as a scattergun and peppergun,[1] or historically as a fowling piece) is a firearm that is usually designed to be fired from the shoulder, which uses the energy of a fixed shell to fire a number of small spherical pellets called shot, or a solid projectile called a slug.

pistol - When distinguished as a subset of handguns, a pistol is a handgun with a chamber that is integral with the barrel, as opposed to a revolver, wherein the chamber is separate from the barrel as a revolving cylinder.

handgun - A handgun is a firearm designed to be held and operated by one hand. This characteristic differentiates handguns as a general class of firearms from long guns such as rifles and shotguns (which are mounted against the shoulder).

borg
09-17-2011, 10:44 PM
By that definition, it does in fact belong to the subset of handguns known as pistols.

sendero72
10-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Great shot anyway you look at it. Bet more deer are lost to bad shots at 100 yds than at 900 yds on a % bases.

Sawfish
11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I read a print article by gasixgunner on this shot, and he detailed the amount of practice and experience that he put in on shooting, wind doping, etc.. He described the equipment he was using, and admonished the readers not to try this type of shooting unless they were committed to the learning and practice necessary to make these types of shots.

J.Baker
11-05-2011, 08:39 PM
There's a reason they call it hunting and not shooting, and this is a prime example.

mytwo60
11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
There's a reason they call it hunting and not shooting, and this is a prime example.

I shot a buck at 300yds once. My archery hunting buddies said the same thing you did.

davemuzz
11-19-2011, 06:51 PM
IMHO, he took the shot with a "Hand Rifle" and not a hand gun. Taking this shot at an Antelope at that range is not "unethical" as long as the shooter has done his homework and his practice.

I practiced my shooting prior to my WY pronghorn trip and felt very comfortable to take a 600 yard shot on an antelope buck this past fall should that present itself. But, i had a chip shot at 150yards. ;D

Antelope are not (Repeat.....NOT) tough animals to kill. Hit 'em with a bullet and they will simply fall over and die. Nothing like a whitetail that will run 100 yards with no heart.

woodsman416
02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Great shooting! ;D

taos
02-01-2012, 05:26 PM
AVE TO AGReE WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT. If you can't pack it on your hip it is not a handgun, but what a shot!! Congrats to the shooter. As to ethical the proof is in the gutpile. My damn kid has got me interested in this L.R. hunting game and I am hooked. I see a .338 Lapua in my not too distant future.

shootist
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Nice shooting skills-hunting skills-meh-not so much.

efw
03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Amax bullet for hunting? The manufacturer states that its not acceptable for medium to large game for a reason.

The manufacturer said it was fine for hunting before they introduced the SST.

Remember that manufacturers make their recommendations based upon what can be considered "typical use," and what we refer to these days as LR hunting most certainly is NOT typical.

Personally, I'm happy to allow people to do what they like in the field and stay out of their business. The longest shot I've ever taken or made in the field is about 300 yds, and I don't go looking for a long one.

On the other hand, many of the individuals I know who like to hunt "LR" do a TON of shooting and know what they're doing from real world experience. I've met an awful lot more "normal" hunters who shouldn't be taking shots at 100 yds than I have "LR" hunters who don't know their limits. Just visit the clubs I frequent on "sight in days" here in October... just the fact that they're tossing a round or 2 downrange in late-October tells you everything you need to know about their level of readiness, yet I hear a lot more complaining about these "LR" guys than the average joe.

I guess we all like to have something to be self-righteous about and I understand (I mean that I am right there w/ ya'll) but in today's anti-hunting climate I say we oughta stick together as hunters/shooters.

Alleycat72
03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
168 gr A-Max @ 2500ish

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/alleycat72_bucket/Test3-19-11024.jpg
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/alleycat72_bucket/Test3-19-11023.jpg
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/alleycat72_bucket/Test3-19-11021.jpg
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/alleycat72_bucket/Test3-19-11022.jpg