PDA

View Full Version : First Savage, Stevens 200 or Savage 11?

Highdrifter
07-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Greetings!!

I'm a new member to Savage Shooters and am looking at acquiring my first Savage rifle. Never gave them a serious look until fairly recently but am pleased to say that I have come to my senses! ;D

Anyway, I've been pondering two at the local gun pedler. One is a Stevens 200 in .25-06 with an asking price of $330 and the other is a Savage 11 in 7mm-08 for $300. Both are preaccutrigger and in good condition. Both seem to be good values and I've long had a hankering for a rifle chambered in, well, both of these calibers. The nice thing about Savage is that the price makes owning more than one rifle achievable if you are on a budget.

I'm tall and I feel like the Savage 11 comes to the shoulder and stabilizes very well for a short action with that homely but robust stock design. Many complain about the stocks but I actually like this one despite it's appearance. Will one be more accurate than the other and any reasons to avoid either?

Thanks. :D

pdog06
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Either one is gonna make you happy, but the Stevens is actually priced a bit high. They are only around $280-300 brand new, so maybe if you tell them that they will bargain with you. If not, go buy a brand new one.

Or, see what kind of deal he will give you if you buy both of them...You know, since you have the hankering for both calibers...LOL

Slowpoke Slim
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I agree about the Stevens. His price is too high. I special ordered mine from a local shop, they had to get it shipped in, and out the door, tax and all I just broke $300, and I paid the shipping.

There is no reason to avoid either rifle, as both have the potential to be tack drivers. I would think harder about which caliber you want and less about the + or - of each model. Both rifles have the same basic receiver, albeit the 25-06 is a long action, and it sounds like the 7-08 is on a short action. Much ado about nothing in the merits of long vs. short actions.

The main thing to consider is what your specific individual needs and wants are for "your" rifle. What kind of shooting will you be doing, hunting, target shooting, competition shooting, how far away are you planning to shoot, and at what kinds of targets/animals?? Do you handload your own ammunition? If not, are you planning to start? If not ammunition availability and cost will be a factor you need to consider. Depending on how you answer each of these questions, I would be able to give you some better advice.

Both rifles have a host of potential for aftermarket mods, barrels, stocks, triggers, etc.

Soonlobo
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
I love my new Savage 111 FCNS. You can't go wrong with the 11. But then again, I love all my firearms :D

brtelec
07-06-2011, 01:58 AM
The big question is are you going to leave it stock or are you going to customize it? If I were buying a Savage to use in a factory condition I would buy the 11. If you plan to customize it and restock it I would buy the Stevens, of course not it someone was asking $300- for it. Just a few months ago Academy Sports was clearing their Stevens 200's I bought 2 in long action in .270 and two in short action in 7-08 for $189- each. If you have Academy sports around where you are call around and see if they are sitting on any of them. The Academy near my daughter still has a couple in stock now.

Highdrifter
07-06-2011, 06:47 AM
I appreciate the replies guys, sounds like the Stevens is priced on the high side.

It would mainly be a shooter (hunting) mostly in stock form. Was looking for a lighter weight rifle to bang around in the mountains and elk are in the mix. I know, some consder the 7mm-08 light for elk but I feel with good bullets it would work nicely and I'm not usually a 400 yard shot kind of person. seems the potential for great accuracy and mild recoil would prove helpful in elk hunting situations.

Again, thank you!

bluealtered
07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
The 7-08 is fine for elk and has a little less recoil. A lot of people here simply use a .243 for their elk, but as you state, they know better than a 400yd shot when doing so. The 7-08 opens up about a half dozen swapping calibers as well. By the way, welcome aboard. blue