PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Bedding Blocks

dannyg
07-04-2011, 03:18 AM
Has anybody ever used thier action to lap in aluminum bedding blocks?I was just wondering if it might be easier than skim bedding. My model 10 has a nice even line on the left side of the action where it sets in the bedding block but on the right side between the rear action screw and the magazine well there is no line but there is a line on the back side of the action screw,so there must be either a high or low spot on that section of the block. Thanks for any information.

blom
07-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Never have tried that but seems to me bedding would be easier. JMO

r29l20
07-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Thinking outside the box, I like that. It sounds like it would work, let us know if you try it, how it turns out.

darkker
07-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Personally I don't think it is the best idea. The issue is that with lapping with your action, you will not only wear away the bedding; but some of the action as well. Personally I would either bed it, or use a rod, or dowel.

dannyg
07-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Darkker,I actually thought about that too but figured aluminum vs. steel I might be ok. Good suggestion though,I might get a rod turned to the same dimensions and use that. Thanks.

jdhord
07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I have. Layout fluid and fine valve grinding compound. Work the action a bit then you can see where the trouble spots are, and decide a course of action from there. The problem is more likely with the receiver, Savages are not very round. I have a few HS Precision/B&C stocks that had some flaws in the blocks that required some filing and sanding. I have several Whidden blocks, those are pretty much perfect. Also use the same method to see how your recoil lug is fitting against the bedding block.

Has anybody ever used thier action to lap in aluminum bedding blocks?I was just wondering if it might be easier than skim bedding. My model 10 has a nice even line on the left side of the action where it sets in the bedding block but on the right side between the rear action screw and the magazine well there is no line but there is a line on the back side of the action screw,so there must be either a high or low spot on that section of the block. Thanks for any information.