PDA

View Full Version : Should I send it back, or other options?

jinx-)
06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
I got replacement for my LRP from Savage, if you recall my "whining spree" 1 - 2 month ago. What they send me, I even jump of the chair when I opened the box, it was SS right bolt left port rifle in gray laminate BR stock 26" SS fluted barrel in 6BR, on the box it read LRPV, I checked catalog, but there no LRPV with BR stock. Because previously I had 260 Rem, 6BR was new to me, I had to buy dies brass bullets etc. Finally I got my first loads so I took rifle for a test, it is solid 0.5" - 0.6" 5 shot shooter. What I noticed during my range trip, that I had tough time opening bolt, and brass came out all scratched up. For my next session I loaded fire-formed brass, which I neck sized. This time I had hard time closing and opening bolt and brass came out all scratched. Trying figure this issue I look down chamber, wow it has machine marks allover. Looks like someone let reamer scratch walls of the chamber. Called Savage, well they want it back and when they saw pictures of the stock they wanted back even more. Is this stock really higher quality then HS, beats me pillars have no contact with action, thing is I bedded it already so I'm not sure if they really need my stock back. Do I want to send it back again, not really it took more then a month previously before I called them and they offer me replacement and since they are closed for 2 week, who knows when I'll get anything back from them. Yes chamber is defective it needs to be re-chambered or something needs to be done, because I'm destroying valuable brass. Would you guys send it back, or find alternative way to get it fixed and fast?

picture added

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5466/6mmchamber8.jpg

jinx-)
07-01-2011, 12:38 AM
not with BR stock. Seriously are there like hand tools to finish this chamber so I don't have to send it back?

jinx-)
07-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm thinking to order custom barrel now, since I was planning to shoot 260 first I got everything to load them but no barrel to shoot with and 6BR now, its getting expensive, I bought bunch of Lapua Scenars bullets for 260 and Lapua brass, now with 6BR only Lapua and Norma makes brass for it and I hate see it go to waste...

SMK Shoe
07-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Buy a new 260 barrel from midway ( 200$) and put it on. then send that barrel back to savage to either replace or fix. I wouldn't send them the entire rifle. Explain to them that you bought the rifle to play with, not for them to get to play with it.

SMK Shoe
07-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Or you could always buy a good 260 barrel from northlander (CBI's are awsome) for under 300$ and try to sell that 6br. If someone has a 6br reamer they would be able to chase the chamber or blow it out to something else.

jinx-)
07-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Thing is this is target action and will require large shank barrel, and midway got only small shank I think... Northlander is always another alternative, but it looks like large shanks are out of stock.

David Clark
07-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I think you are making to big of a deal out of this. A good reamer and a few turns and you are good to go. i would keep it as it is a fine rifle!!!
Dave

northlander
07-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Jinx,
I have several Large shank Barrels in stock at this time. I just received 6 boxes from Shilen and three cases of Criterion Barrels. Let me know what caliber you are after, I have several to choose from at this time.

Jim Briggs
NSS

r29l20
07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Jinx, sounds like you picked the right user name anyway. ;D (Sorry pard no offence) But seriously I would take Dave's advice. :)

jinx-)
07-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I know I can still shoot it, but because its hard to turn, I'm loosing target, firing position every time I have to cycle the bolt this contributes to fliers, like I had 3 shot group at 300 yards measured 0.74", but when I had really hard to cycle brass my next shot open up group to 1.24".

David Clark, are you saying I can do it without lathe? If it was some Remington or Winchester brass I would say no big deal to scratches, but this is Norma 20 bucks for 20 pieces and Lapua like 80 bucks for 100.

take a look it was all polished before going into the chamber, exiting chamber makes it look not so shiny

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1989/6mmchamber5.jpg

Jim Briggs, I been looking at your listing for quiet some time now, I will give you call probably in a few days.

Cover Dog
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
jinx....Jim Briggs, I been looking at your listing for quiet some time now, I will give you call probably in a few days.

If wait a few days most of the the barrels Jim was telling you about will be gone.

jinx-)
07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
if I can do it without my wife knowing about it, I'll order it right now ;D
but since I just payed for daycare for full month and car insurance for 6, this transaction will not go unnoticed ::)

jinx-)
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Had old school gunsmith take a pick on my barrel with lathe and 6BR reamer, I was told factory chamber was cut 4 thousands off, now I can cycle bolt without a sweat. This guy recommend me to give up Savage action and switch to Bat. I tried some of the rifles he makes and they are smooth! The price tag on them is 4K+... Maybe one day in the future... Also the only barrel makers he accepts is Brux and Pac-Nor... Well good thing barrel is not going back... Thank you all for help with my jinxed rifle!

GaCop
07-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Glad it turned out good in the end.

Uncle Jack
07-03-2011, 10:16 AM
".....the only barrel makers he accepts is Brux and Pac-Nor...

I'm glad I don't have to deal with him. I'd have to throw away all my Lilja barrels.

uj

blom
07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
And my Kriegers and Shilens.

jinx-)
07-05-2011, 01:09 AM
I guess he got his own reasons, could be just his preferences and he is not taking any jobs unless he wants it. He thought I needed help so he offered his services at no charge!