PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 build problem, maybe

emfour
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Guys - I think I may have a problem...

I just put together a Stevens 200 with a take-off Savage heavy barrel that I had around. I used a new barrel nut and a new heavy stainless recoil lug (Stockade). I put a Farrell 20 moa tapered base on it and tried to bore sight it. Here is where the problem is: I don't have enough windage in the scope to get it even close to where the bore sighter says it should be. This same scope and rind combo has worked fine on other rifles without major adjustment. The scope was looking high as well - definitely not right for the 20 moa taper.

So, I'm trying to decide if the problem is in the base or in the receiver. I hope it's the base.

When mounting the base, no matter whether I attached the front or rear screws first, the other end was up about 0.030" or so from the receiver. I've never had a rifle or base do this, it's always one way or the other, but not both. When I put a straight edge on the top of the receiver (round rear receiver by the way) it seems that both front and rear are in the same plane.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

emfour

82boy
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
It is in the 20MOA base, few scopes have enough adjustment range to zero a 20 MOA cant on a base to a 100 yard 0. If you have enough adjustment in a scope to zero a 20MOA base at 100 yards, chances are you don't need a 20 MOA Base.

rinodods
07-01-2011, 01:00 AM
You did say windage right? If you've used those rings and scope before you might have a receiver with the holes drilled off center. Just in case though I'd do a quick test on the rings. Flip them from the way you have them mounted now and see if your windage goes off the other direction. If if does you should be looking at a ring issue. That will at least narrow it down a bit. I know you said you've used them before but for all you know the other rifle was drilled off and it just worked out. ;D Won't hurt to check and hey you aren't going to mess up your zero. I'd think if the receiver was off you could run some screws down the holes then put a long straight edge against them. If it is that far off you might be able to see the edge start to cross the bore. Never tried it but it might work. After that blame the base. lol

I hope someone else has some better ideas for ya. I'm just bored and tossing things out. lol

emfour
07-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes, the problem is with windage, not elevation.

I have had this scope/ring combination on two different rifles with only a small amount of adjustment necessary. The other rifle I normally use it on has a similar, if not the same model, Farrell 20moa base.

I really hope the problem is not in the receiver. Is there any way to determine this? I guess it could be the mounting holes or the barrel itself. I bought this rifle third-hand at least and took off the sporter barrel for the heavy from a previous build/upgrade.

emfour

gotcha
07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
If your base is perfectly flat when layed on a PERFECTLY flat surface the screw holes are possibly drilled off center line OR the contour of the receiver isn't true. Sounds like a pair of Burris signature zee's would take care of problem. The zee's are available w/ an insert "kit" that could possibly allow you to forego the 20 MOA base. You didn't say if your EGW was steel or Alum ?

chemist1
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I had the same problem with an EGW 20 moa base. I used sig. zee rings to fix the problem for a while. I later decided to remove the base all together and just use the ring inserts to get the extra elevation that I wanted.

emfour
07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
The base is a Ken Farrell (steel) with 20MOA taper. If I had another base handy I'd try that, but I don't unfortunately. I may call Farrell to see if they have any suggestions, but without seeing the entire thing, they probably can't comment.

GaCop
07-02-2011, 08:17 AM
The Burris Signature Zee rings and inserts should take care of your problem.

pdog06
07-02-2011, 08:27 AM
To prove if it is the base or the reciever, buy a set of 2pc bases and put them on in place of the Farrell base. You could even use just a cheap set of factory bases, or a good set of Warne or Burris. If the windage ends up in the same area then you have just eliminated the Farrell base as a problem, then I would pop a scope/ring combo off another gun if you have one available to prove those good or bad.

Also, try using another bore sighter to make sure you dont have an issue with that.

emfour
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I finally got the chance to go over the rifle again. The rear of the receiver is lower than the front, but only on the left side as viewed from the rear. If I check it at 12:00 (TDC) it's good, at about 1:00 it's good, at 11:00 it's NOT good.

I attached only the front two base screws and re-checked the scope with the bore sighter, it is off a the far right side of the grid (40"!!) and I believe that is with some amount of windage still dialed in (tried to bring it to center). I spoke with someone at Ken Farrell and they were more than willing to have the base back and check it for problems. Right now I'm not sure if there is a problem with the base.

The problem 'looks' like it's in the rear receiver ring (out of round?). When the front screws are holding the base in place (rear screws still drop right into place, so the holes are drilled in a straight line at least), the left rear of the base is higher than the right rear side - that kind of confirms my measurements.

Being that this is a third hand rifle, is there anything that can be done? I'm sure this is out of warranty AND I bought it used - does anyone know if will Savage stand behind this factory defect this late in the game?

et
07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
maybe you can try to bed the base on so that it is mated to a solid form fitting surface. just a suggestion if it comes to that. i did have the same problem when i first mounted my scope that got fixed when i loosened everything up at the range and re torqued it all back down.

yorketransport
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a Stevens with the same problem. I tried bedding the base and that fixed the elevation problem, but I need to use 30 MOA shims (10 in the front and 20in the back) in the Burris Sig rings, plus most of the windage in the scope just to get on paper at 100yards. I don't even use that action any more. It bugs me so much that it just sits on my work bench.

Andrew

emfour
07-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks et.

I could bed the base and fix the elevation, but the windage is a real problem. I'm not sure where that problem is coming from, base or receiver.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll most likely call Savage and see if they can do anything with it... and how much it will cost.

This action may go to the back of the line as well.

emfour
09-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I thought I'd update this even though it is painful... it was my own fault for not starting from square one while mounting the scope. I removed the scope/rings from a Farrell one piece base on a Savage 10FP and thought it should go right on this Stevens 200 with the same base. Nope. I was getting either the front or rear ring sitting up just a bit when I mounted it to the rail and tightened it down. It seemed like it fit properly so I went off on the tangent that was this thread. Sorry about that!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.