PDA

View Full Version : 270 rechamber?

Pages : 1 [2]

tammons
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
What bullet ??

So far I have worked up loads for the 95 gr barnes TTSX, 130 gameking over RL17.
160 nosler partition over RL22.
Also have a reduced 130 gr SST load over H4895.

I keep on seeing all these 270 win barrels on the WTS forum for cheap and dont know why
people are not snagging them. Its a great round.

17 rem savage
07-02-2011, 04:20 PM
i like the 130s. ive shot the 95 barnes with h1000. it worked great for yotes.

i really like the 270 just dont need 3 of them lol maybe i do tho.

thanks tammons

tammons
07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
The barnes max load off loaddata is 95 gr TTSX over 61 gr of RL17 at 3709 fps with a 24" bbl.

My load tests. All win brass and CCI BR primers.
All tested in the summer at probably 90dF.

1. 95gr TTSX over RL17 at 3.24 COL (second groove).
62 gr was okay but pretty flat primers.
Got brass flow at 63 gr.
At 62 gr should be running at about 3650 in my 21" bbl.
Shoots way high and right of the 2 loads below.
Maybe 4-5" high and 3-4" right.
62gr max for me.

2. 130 gr GK over RL17 at 3.3 col.
Ran a test up to 57 gr. 55 MAX was okay with pretty flat primers.
Got brass flow at 56 and 57.
Backed off to 54.8 and with a 21" bbl shoots 3/8".
Should be running about 3050 with my bbl.
55gr max for me.

3. 160 gr nosler partition over RL22 at 3.4 COL.
Ran loads up to 58 gr of RL22 (IE NOT RL17). Never found a max.
Should be at about 2800 fps.
I think 58 is close to max. Might be able to go up another gr or two, but I am calling it good for now.

Have not chronographed any of these as I have been fooling abound with a 10mm Auto.

For starting loads I would drop down about 5 grains.

17 rem savage
07-02-2011, 06:10 PM
man thanks alot. ill b trying some of those out. ive never reloaded any 160s for my 270s but i think im going to try it.

well ive thought about it and think ill order a 260 barrel and start a new project. lol
never shot one but sound like a good one to play with.

thanks again tammons

thanks for all the responds and setting me strait. ill be looking for a large shank mag action for my switch barrel project.

im a new guy here so its nice not to get trashed on for asking a question like some other sites. thanks again.

nsaqam
07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
64.5gr of Magpro behind any number of 130gr bullets get me 3250+ out of my 24" 700 KS. Expect ~100 fps less out of a 22" tube.

All in WW cases sparked by a WLR primer.

Superb cartridge the 270 Winchester!

efm77
07-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Ruger actually did chamber the WSM's for a while but I heard that they had to pay some sort of royalty to Winchester/Olin for it and got tired of paying it so they quit. Not sure how true thatis but that's what a I heard. Bigedp51, I understand what you're saying about an oiled chamber or cartridge and understand what bolt thrust is and don't doubt your knowledge. I also know/agree that a larger diameter cartridge puts more thrust against the bolt face. I myself do not do anything to tempt fate either and am always careful with my firearms. However, in the quote you posted it says that an oily chamber can increase the pressure to the bolt face to the equivalent of 70K psi which isn't enough to make the bolt action fail unless it has a major defect in the metal that wasn't found at the factory. All bolt actions are capable of withstanding at least 120K psi and I've read some quotes that claim they can withstand 150K so I wouldn't worry about 70K. Like I said before, Norma loads the Weatherby rounds at around 70-75K, pushing the limits of the what the web of the case can handle. Back to the original question, if you wanted a 270WSM you'd need to have a new barrel made. The existing 270win barrel chamber would have to have too much cut off to rechamber and the taper of the barrel would cause the chamber to be too thin.

bigedp51
07-03-2011, 12:09 PM
efm77

1. The rifle in question is a long action and the WSM cartridge was designed for a short action.
2. A 24 inch or longer barrel would be needed for the .270 WSM, .270 Weatherby etc for a worthwhile velocity gain.
3. Other than converting the .270 to the .270 AI a barrel change and bolt modifications will be required to go to the WSM or any other cartridge.

I damaged two Remington rifles in the 1970s because I took the advice of a coworker and lubed my cartridge cases when fire forming them. Both rifles had bolt setback and increased headspace, and ever since then I have very conscious of the words "bolt thrust" and firearms damage.

You are correct that most commercial rifles have a safety factor of twice the normal chamber pressure built in before a catastrophic failure will occur. BUT this does not mean that increased bolt thrust will not cause bolt setback and increased headspace and damage any rifle at lower chamber pressures.

17 rem savage asked a question about possible conversions of his .270 Winchester with the intent of getting more horsepower. 17 rem savage already has the .270 Winchester a classic hot rodded cartridge with a rated chamber pressure of 52,000 cup or 65,0000 psi and doesn't' really need more horse power. If I had a .270 Winchester with a 24 inch barrel I would concider that as close to perfection as possible.

Before I shoot any of my rifles a wet patch with lighter fluid on it is used in the chamber and barrel to remove any traces oil.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/oilcover.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/oilinchamber.jpg

efm77
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
"1. The rifle in question is a long action and the WSM cartridge was designed for a short action.
2. A 24 inch or longer barrel would be needed for the .270 WSM, .270 Weatherby etc for a worthwhile velocity gain.
3. Other than converting the .270 to the .270 AI a barrel change and bolt modifications will be required to go to the WSM or any other cartridge."

1. I know, although it will work in a long action.
2. I know
3. I know

As I said before I know what bolt thrust is and what increased bolt thrust can do. You don't have to keep explaining it to me. I'm not arguing your point. In fact I agree with you. The only thing I don't agree with is 70k psi being enough to damage the rifle. I have no proof of that, I just think if it would that Norma wouldn't load their ammunition to such high pressures. We're beating a dead horse here so I won't reply to this thread anymore.

bigedp51
07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
"1. The rifle in question is a long action and the WSM cartridge was designed for a short action.
3. Other than converting the .270 to the .270 AI a barrel change and bolt modifications will be required to go to the WSM or any other cartridge."

1. I know, although it will work in a long action.
2. I know
3. I know

As I said before I know what bolt thrust is and what increased bolt thrust can do. You don't have to keep explaining it to me. I'm not arguing your point. In fact I agree with you. The only thing I don't agree with is 70k psi being enough to damage the rifle. I have no proof of that, I just think if it would that Norma wouldn't load their ammunition to such high pressures. We're beating a dead horse here so I won't reply to this thread anymore.

The brass cartridge case begins to flow at 70,000 psi.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/pressures-case-strength-back-thrust-2.php

And you wont find a cartridge chamber pressure standard above 65,000 psi.

http://kwk.us/pressures.html

17 rem savage
07-03-2011, 04:42 PM
that was my main concern that shorting the chamber was going to weaken the barrel. i see its not a feasible idea. not that im going this route any more. but for future reference is it safe to swap barrels wsm or rsaum and go with a mag bolt head on a small shank action? thanks.

jglover_81
07-03-2011, 06:08 PM
but for future reference is it safe to swap barrels wsm or rsaum and go with a mag bolt head on a small shank action? thanks.

I have a 7 WSM on a stevens long action that works great!! So yes with a barrel swap and a magnum bolt head it will work fine on a small shank

tammons
07-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Savage made plenty of small shank magnum barrels.
Matter of fact they did not introduce large shank barrels until a few years ago.

I have had several magnum small shank setups including a 338 win mag, 375 ruger and a 458 win mag.

Normal magnums are fine. Lapua magnum not okay even on a large shank as I understand it.

efm77
10-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I know this is an old post and I said I wouldn't reply anymore but I had a thought today that made me think of this thread. I always get the oil out of my chambers as well before I shoot. But you still have to lube the action/receiver and even though I lube sparaingly, how are you supposed to keep it from transferring to the cartridges which would then transfer right back to the chamber. Seems like a thin film of oil always gets on to the magazine follower in mine which could get on to the cartridges. Maybe it's too small an amount to matter? I dunno. Just came to my mind today as I was in the woods and my mind was wandering while I was waiting for a deer to come into bow range.