PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Magazine

stinkitup
06-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Hey Guys

I am in Australia and wanted a stevens 200 in 223 for a budget project but seems they are being sold out and no longer available and only the axis/edge now available. Reasons for the 200 is I have a sss trigger to go on it and I figure easier for other changes like stocks.

I can get a plain 22-250 stevens 200 for $399, can I use this I know I need a new bolt head for the 223 but do I need a new magazine? Have been offered the new 223 axis for $509 with a scope but like I said I have a replacement trigger for it so prefer the stevens.

I think I will ask around see if I can find the 223 as I don't really want to pay for more things as was meant to be on the cheap.
Cheers
Ryan

PS Would two piece mounts on a lrpv suit a stevens?

jglover_81
06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
You will need a new magazine and follower to go from a 22-250 to a 223

Con
06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Mate,
Look up Marma Lake Firearms in western Victoria ... I think they may still have a package 223Rem available.

Nice of the importers to stop bringing in the Stevens 200 wasn't it? :D
Cheers...
Con
PS: Swapping a bolt head is fine in theory ... but getting the bits that go with it is hard here. Almost better buying a complete bolt.

stinkitup
06-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks heaps Con will ring them this morning, yes didn't really want to have to get the bits as not easy like on the other side of the pond!

Ryan

Con
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks heaps Con will ring them this morning, yes didn't really want to have to get the bits as not easy like on the other side of the pond!

Ryan

Here's a hint ... buy 2! I regret not buying a pair of 223 bolt faced guns and a pair of 308 bolt faced guns as I like to fiddle with them and experiment with wildcats.

Also nice ... get a big bolt handle.
Cheers...
Con

stinkitup
06-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up Con

Have rung and left him a message, will wait for the call back. Found another possibly as I think Marma has sold out. I have a target action being built for LRBR and f-class, I have ordered a sss bolt for that, so when that comes will put the sss on the target rig and the target one on the stevens :) Hmm I had thought of long action say 30-06 and the 223 just so I had something bigger than the old 6.5 mauser but I think I am stretching it.

Ryan

Con
06-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Let me know how you go with the SSS stuff ... dont think they export. I got the factory 'big knob' from Brownell's, but Shooters Wholesale Warehouse also import them. Bloke I spoke to recently grabbed some Rifle Basix Sav-2 triggers. Very drool worthy triggers!

Only reason I've avoided the 30-06 length actions is they are gigantically long. Bought and sold a 300WinMag unfired ... I'll stick to the short actions I reckon.

Just be carefull though ... my Stevens 200 in 223Rem has a spare 6x45 barrel currently fitted. The 243Win has a 7-08, 308 and 358 barrel and I'm working on a 30-250 (30cal on 22/250). Addictive!! Heaven help me when I finally score an LRPV ... then I'll really get stuck into some ripper 223 based wildcats. ;D
Cheers...
Con

stinkitup
06-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes well before my order it was okay then I put my order in to SSS now its it will go out with another order to a dealer to get sent here. To be honest I just don't get the export rules! Some guys are happy to send out barrels, projectiles and stocks anyway.

Any of you US guys want to forward on a parcel for me? :o

Ryan

harro
07-01-2011, 05:43 AM
G'day

Con , thanks for the tip about Shooters Wholesale Warehouse, I've tried to get some stuff from SSS, but the no export thing has been a hassle.Can I ask where you have purchased your barrels from , do you deal with someone in Australia, or do you go through the hassles of importing yourself.

Thankyou for your time

harro

Con
07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Harro,
Most of the barrels I've grabbed locally as take-offs. Prior to their cancellation from production (or importation) ... I also bought an Adams&Bennett Savage pre-fit in 358Win and docked it at 20". Now ... I buy Adams&Bennett barrels and have a gunsmith chamber/thread/blue for $180. So about $330 total. This gunsmith lets me fit them at home.

Here's how the 6x45 A&B barrel shoots ... no load development, no bedding, no tuning.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/358CRG/AdamsBennett.jpg

Cheers...
Con

stinkitup
07-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Con

Well it was a maybe, then a not sure now looks like a yes, might be one of the last newie's in Aus you never know.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Harro

I have got stuff through individuals like barrels they haven't used. Some smaller guys are happy to send but some are def no's!
Sometimes just have to be lucky, right place right time.

Ryan