PDA

View Full Version : New Savage Build (First One)

dlfleetw
06-29-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm new to bolt guns and Savages in general. Have the Semis tackled and finally am getting around to building a long range bolt gun.

I've got a Savage-Stevens Model 200 coming in .308 as the basis for a .260 rem build. I stumbled around the internet for a few weeks researching long range calibers and finally settled on the .260 Rem. Now I have to get reloading equipment too (something I have been meaning to get started for a while.)

Build (heavily researched)

Savage-Stevens Model 200 .308
Stockade WoodChuck (straight from the mold)
CBI 26" match Stainless barrel in .260 Rem (Or a Shilen)
CDI DBM conversion
Accu-Shot Atlas Bipod
EGW 20 MOA one piece rail
Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x mil-dot
EGW Practical

I will doing some modifications including cutting the bolt handle and welding on a bolt to accept on EGW triple strip enlarged bolt handle and GunKote on the Action.

I am still looking around for triggers. I want something robust, more on the 2 lb side of heavy, maybe a bit lighter.

I will be ordering the barrel in Late July and piecing it together as I go. The Bolt Handle conversion will most likely be the first thing I tackle.

GaCop
06-30-2011, 06:07 AM
You'll love the CBI/Kreiger barrel. I have one in 6.5 Lapua and love it. Look at the after market triggers on Brownell's web site. I put a timney in one of my rifles and really like it set with a 2 lb pull. Might I suggest a scope with a bit more magnification than 10 power if your going to shoot long range? Take a look at the Weaver 40/44 in 6.5X20X44. Good glass and a real bargain at less than $250 at Optics Planet or Cameraland.

txbdyguard
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the addiction. I built a 260 on a Varmint action 26" Shilen Varmint action. I have a Savage factory stock for a Mdl 12. I have shot this thing allot and my best bolt rifle ever.