PDA

View Full Version : use the wedge or not ?

chiefkerdog
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Hello, Savage just replaced my stock on my MODEL 111 LRH because of finish peeling. They sent me an exact looking stock but the paperwork said "the accustock had been upgraded, eliminating the need for a wedge. " The replacement stock has the forward most hole for the screw for the wedge so if upgraded , why have a hole that will not be used. So put the wedge back in or leave out ? , would like to know if anyone out there doing without their wedge. If so better accuracy ?

thanks, Chief

82boy
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
It was found early on that the Wedge caused accuracy problems, by placing stress on the action. Savage decided to remove the wedge, in doing so if they was to remove the hole in the stock they would have to retool operations, costing money, it is just simpler, to take the wedge out, and leave the rest alone. All the wedge does, is ensure that the recoil lug is against the bedding surface of the stock, the same thing can be done by standing the rifle up on the recoil pad when assembling, and tightening the screws. I say try it both ways, do some experimenting and see what works best for you.

airaddict
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
i have a model 16 w/accustock (just sold the accustock to replace w a boyds thumbhole) that is a 1st gen w the wedge and i did use it.

i would torque down the action screws in steps while the rifle was elevated on the buttstock to make sure the recoil lug was against the boss on the bedding rail and just snug up the wedge and the loosen it to make sure it was all the way to the rear but i wouldnt torque down the wedge till i was done w the action screws. that way the only purpose of the wedge is to hold the lug in place against the boss. i didnt want the lugs to not be against the boss and then try to shift it while torqued down.

try a few ways and see wha works for you.

brian

Cycler
06-29-2011, 10:05 PM
It was found early on that the Wedge caused accuracy problems, by placing stress on the action. Savage decided to remove the wedge, in doing so if they was to remove the hole in the stock they would have to retool operations, costing money, it is just simpler, to take the wedge out, and leave the rest alone. All the wedge does, is ensure that the recoil lug is against the bedding surface of the stock, the same thing can be done by standing the rifle up on the recoil pad when assembling, and tightening the screws. I say try it both ways, do some experimenting and see what works best for you.
1. Savage dropped the wedge due to patent infringement problems as someone else had patented the concept. Whether the wedge improved accuracy or not is moot. They can't use it.

2. The newer wedgeless Accustocks don't have the hole for the wedge bolt. I have a model 16 built in January 2011 and the Accstock has only the two action screw holes. There is no extra hole left over from the wedge equipped models.

robert d
06-30-2011, 09:57 PM
My 111 with accustock is version 2 without wedge, but only two screw holes in the stock. The finish on my rifle is also peeling off looks like skin coming off after a bad sun burn, does this sound the same and did you have to send your gun back or just the old stock. I all ready had to send the gun back do to extractor problems and vertical stringing. Savage put a new spring in the bolt but it still turns loose of the case to soon every now and then especially when pulling back on the bolt slow and I still get vertical strings. How does yours shoot?