PDA

View Full Version : bedding question

ofdscooby
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I have a new build that isn't performing that well. At the range yesterday someone suggested that I loosen up the front action screw a bit and see if the barrel shifts in relation to the stock. So when I loosened up the front action screw a bit the barrel pulled away from the stock about 1mm. Is this a bad thig it seems to me either my barrel or action is sitting under unneeded stress and causing me some pretty bad groups. A little history on the rifle its a 116 trued with a shilen 26in heavy sporter 1:9 I would rather not say the name of the stock just yet but he makes good stocks. I've been trying to get decent groups using rl-22 and 4831 with 150gr NBT in different lenghts and different grain amounts with no success. Average groups are about 2-3".

gotcha
06-29-2011, 01:02 AM
scooby, The movement of your bbl when loosening the front action screw is a good indication that your action is in a bind. On a properly bedded rifle the action screws should come to an immediate & sudden stop when screwed in. Does your bolt slide more easily when either the front or rear screw is loosened? What material is your stock made of? Does it have an aluminum bedding block? Has it been bedded as yet? .................. Sounds like it could use bedding or re-bedding. Dale

GaCop
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
+1 what Dale said, definitely need to be bedded. Does the stock already have pillars? When assembled, can you slide a piece of typing paper around the edge of the tang? It needs to be floated. Is the barrel making contact at any point in the barrel channel? Check it when the barrel is warm as the metal expansion could reveal a point touching that doesn't show when the barrel is cold.

ofdscooby
07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
scooby, The movement of your bbl when loosening the front action screw is a good indication that your action is in a bind. On a properly bedded rifle the action screws should come to an immediate & sudden stop when screwed in. Does your bolt slide more easily when either the front or rear screw is loosened? What material is your stock made of? Does it have an aluminum bedding block? Has it been bedded as yet? .................. Sounds like it could use bedding or re-bedding. Dale

Stockade hunting sporter bedded by Stockade I sanded down the barrel channel a little to fully free float the barrel. I'm going to go out monday and try it again I realy hope this is it. I've have been messing with this build for over a year and still can't get under 2" at a hundred.

gotcha
07-09-2011, 02:02 AM
scooby, how did the range session go after sanding the bbl channel? Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been out of town. .......... If your bbl is lifting out of the bbl channel upon loosening the front action screw the action is NOT properly bedded. I give every action I bed this test as a final "QC". I'm surprized Stockade apparently doesn't do this test. Does your rifle have pillars? If not, it's possible the stock has compressed a bit from tightening the action screws. I'd return the rifle to Stockade & have them remedy the situation........... If you'd like to rebed yourself I'd be happy to walk you through it. Bedding ISN'T difficult but requires attention to detail. 2" to 3" groups from a custom bbl & action truing is pretty disappointing. (Assuming base, rings & scope are up to snuff.) What cartridge are you shooting? Single shot or mag fed? Remember, 80% of accuracy problems are scope related! Let me hear from you ;D I Love to work on knotty problems. Dale