PDA

View Full Version : Glass/pillar bedding preparation

TonyBen
06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Simple question here...

Is it advisable to replace the plastic trigger guard with a steel one before bedding or does it matter? I'm thinking the plastic will compress over time and a steel one is pretty cheap.

Tony.

r29l20
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
The plastic guard does have a steel insert.

thirty06
06-28-2011, 05:01 PM
The new trigger guards have a steel insert. The older ones don't. Don't know when they started but you can check
with a magnet. Very easy to tighten action screw enough to pull through all plastic guard.[Don't ask how I know]
If you have one of the older ones I'd replace it. If it has the steel insert I wouldn't be overly concerned right now.

TonyBen
06-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Mine is probably an older one. Again, it was built in the mid-80's. I'm not too happy with the accuracy and I really want to pillar/glass bed it. I'm going to go with a B&C stock next year but it's going to be a while so I need to try and make this wood stock work. It's a standard wood stock.

I've got the steel trigger guard on my wish list at midway. I'll probably start looking at a pillar kit too.

Thanks,
Tony.

TonyBen
07-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I pulled the trigger guard last night and verified that it is indeed all plastic with no insert.

I also verified that the bushing in the stock for the front action screw is also plastic. I'm going to bed a steel bushing in there this weekend.

I used to see 6" POI shifts between range trips. Hopefully this will eliminate that. I should have a full pillar and action bedding job done within the next month.

Tony.

ellobo
07-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Tony, if you live in a part of the country that has high humidity that could be why you are getting Shifts. Wood stock are not the best in those onditions, the humidity can warp the wood and cause the barrel to contact the forestock. When you go to the range check it out. Bedding the action may not cure that problem but sure as heck cant hurt.

El Lobo

r29l20
07-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I just replaced my plastic trigger guard with a metal one, the metal one is a little narrower. Also you need to shim the front, it is thinner. :)

ellobo
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I used a Stainless trigger guard on a factory laminate stock along with a stainless barrel nut. Adds a bit of class to the rifle. Got both from Fred at Savage Shooters Supply. Eventually will do it to a 110 conversion to 7MM Mauser with the black plastic stock. I am beggining to really like that rifle.

El Lobo

TonyBen
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I do live in Oregon but it stays in a gun safe with a dehumidifier. I'm going to seal the stock really well when the bedding is done.

Thanks for the tips fellas. If any of you ever need to bed an M1A, let me know. It's quite a bit different than doing these bolt guns.

Tony.