PDA

View Full Version : Model16 FCSS.... 260

Pages : 1 [2]

bluealtered
07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
The fact that the first two are in the same hole tells me that the rifle is fine, and that you may doing something i go through sometimes with a new rifle. For me i'm simply trying to hard to make it work, when i do this i can shoot my cheap model 11 .243 at the same time and do well.

I hate to admit this but i am doing the same thing right now with my new .260 lwh. The first two will touch and then the group may spread out, i'm trying to make it a target rifle, ... it's not a target rifle, ... it's a hunting rifle.

Thats my two cents worth, you just have to quit fighting and it will work fine, for that matter so do i. blue

jpdown
07-02-2011, 11:49 PM
I would try out a different scope. Even the high dollar scopes can and do go bad. I was having the same problem you described trying to work up a load for a new Shaw 260 barrel on a Savage lightweight build. Turned out the scope was not holding zero. Every OCW test I ran ended up giving a 2" to 3" groups @ 100 yards, no matter what powder or bullet I tried. I thought it couldn't be the scope, because it worked just fine on my .308 last fall. I assume you have also checked the barrel and tang to make sure they are free floated. And a 1:8 twist should stabilize most of the available 6.5mm bullets.

I have noticed with my 260 Shaw 22" barrel with 1:9 twist, you do have to find a sweet spot with each bullet to get sub MOA groups. The most consistent results with Barnes 120gr, Hornady 129gr and Sierra 140gr bullets has been with H4350 followed by IMR4831 with RL-17 being somewhat erratic. This morning I did a OCW test with the 120gr Sierra ProHunter, H4350 and RL-17. This is the first time RL-17 has bested (.34"), H4350 (.55"). So I think I've found my 120gr bullet and load. I'm going to give some Berger 130gr a try this week, since the Hornady 129gr SST accuracy node I found at 100 yds did not hold up when I move out to 200 yds. Bottom line, every load I've tried through my barrel shot 1" to 1.5" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds until I hit the sweet spot for that bullet and powder. It may be challenging to find a factory load that matches the sweet spot for your rifle.

5spd
07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
My views are certainly not a consensus as many Savages are very "Rube Goldburg" accurate. The downside to them is most good Smiths wont touch them.

The UPSIDE is most good Smiths don't NEED to touch them because they already shoot as well as most other rifles. ;D

^^^On top of that why let a gunsmith do something you can do yourself?

jinx-)
07-03-2011, 01:00 AM
that's how my 260 grouped at 100 yards, I send it back, Savage agreed that barrel was crap.

http://imageshack.us/m/41/8263/hundredyard3.jpg

silverock
07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
ok, finished swaping scopes took off the new minox za5, put on zeiss conquest...
will try it out and update later