PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi and 3M epoxy

bsekf
06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Just finished my 4th or 5th action job. I have used grease or Pam and JB Weld in the past but this time I used Kiwi neutral shoe polish as the release agent and 3M epoxy. IT WORKS!!! Best job I've done to date. Smacked the stock with the heel of my hand and I heard it snap. Action lifted right out. "I love it when things come together"

Bill

82boy
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Kiwi shoe polish works great! I have been using it for years.

pdog06
06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
"I love it when things come together"

or in this case, you love it when things come apart....LOL

Stockrex
06-27-2011, 12:36 PM
which 3m epoxy did you use? pls post a link for us newbies.

I have some black kiwi shoe polish from years back, won't it be a mess to cleanup?

thomae
06-27-2011, 04:22 PM
which 3m epoxy did you use? pls post a link for us newbies.

Echo Stockrex's question: Which 3M epoxy? They make many.
Thanks, and congratulations on your success.
All the best,
Thomae

bsekf
06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
3M Scotch-Weld, epoxy adhesive in gray. I did a dry run to see if it worked as well as JB Weld and Devcon. Seemed to be a little soft after 8 hours but stiffened up in 24. Posted some questions here and on the "Shooters Forum", guy there said it worked great and did not shrink. I am happy with it and the price was right. ;D

The Kiwi worked great, goes on thinner and smoother than grease and I don't sleep well when using Pam. Couldn't believe how easy it came apart and there was no sticking or little thin pieces breaking out.

This was on a Boyds Ross Thumbhole so I had to do pillars too. I remove the trigger/sear assemble and leave the back pillar whole and cut it after I have the rifle bedded. I bed in two stages. First, glue in the pillars, the back pillar rests on the trigger guard and the action, so I can really torque it down. Front pillar is carefully inletted for depth and attached to the action with the screw. I use plastic tape to hold it in the stock. I wrap masking tape around the barrel so it bottoms out in the barrel channel. I have three points of contact, theory is that I don't put any strain on the action doing it this way. Second stage (in 8 hours), since the pillars are bedded I can use the stock screws to pull the whole thing together. I only worry about bedding material between the action and stock where the pillars are and the back of the recoil lug. I don't scrape much off. I leave as much material on the back pillar as possible and still have the trigger/sear work.

I am sorry.... for something so simple, I used a lot of words to describe it.

Bill

Buster95
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
What about this stuff for bedding http://www.milliput.com/prod.htm it's an epoxy putty, dry rock hard.

Stockrex
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.shop3m.com/62327214359.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-3M-Scotch-Weld-Two-Part-Epoxy-Adhesive

Is this it?

thomae
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Not trying to be obtuse, but which 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy in grey is it?
From the 3M website: Here are the different grey epoxies: I just want to be sure I have the right one.

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP1103M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP110 is a flexible, two-part epoxy. 1:1 mix ratio, 10 minute work life and handling strength in 20 minutes. 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP110 has medium viscosity that allows for easy dispensing. Flexible bonds to a variety of materials such as, metals, ceramics, wood and many plastics. http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-weld-epoxy-adhesive-dp110-rdgmk36qpz.html

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP125
(3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP125 is a flexible, gray, two-part epoxy. 1:1 mix ratio, 25 minute work life and handling strength in 2.5 hours.
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP125 has medium viscosity that allows for easy dispensing. Flexible bonds to a variety of materials such as, metals, glass, ceramics, wood and many plastics.)http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-weld-epoxy-adhesive-dp125-6hr7chx6fc.html

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP190
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP190 is a gray, two-part epoxy. 1:1 mix ratio, 90 minute work life and handling strength in 12 hours.
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP190 has medium viscosity that allows for easy dispensing. Bonds to a variety of materials such as, metals, ceramics, wood and many plastics. http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-weld-epoxy-adhesive-dp190-6cxk9f4p0k.html

Thanks very much for your patience.

bsekf
06-28-2011, 08:03 AM
I didn't even know there was more than one. What I acquired was 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive Tube Kit. 3501 B/A gray. This stuff could be very old.....but it worked for me.

The putty would be too stiff for my application. The discription says; [i]Milliput is an excellent adhesive and will bond any of the following to itself or to any of the others - wood, brick, cement, metals, concrete, plastics, glass etc, but note that [u]Milliput is not intended as a thin layer adhesive and should not be used where a paste, mucilage or thin glue is indicated.

Bill

bsekf
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
I'll bet it is the same as DP 190, due to the work life and cure time.

Bill

thomae
06-28-2011, 07:24 PM
bsekf,
Thanks.
You have provided specific and useful information.
:)
I appreciate it.
All the best,
Thomae

bsekf
06-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Thank you.

Bill