PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II BTVS accuracy with bulk ammo.

Skyllz
06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Now that it is broken in, I spent some time at the range today getting some 2 inch groups @ 100 meters(+-330ft) with bulk .22lr Winchester 40gr. Is that standard?

Should it be better with bulk ammo or i'm in the "ballpark" and better results will come with better ammo now?

Just making sure it's shooting like it's supposed to. If it aint broken, I wont try to fix it ;D

Regardless, I love shooting the damn thing, clays have no chance at that distance, same for the left-over pieces scattered around. I have not enjoyed shooting a rimfire like that in a long time.

Stockrex
06-28-2011, 06:30 AM
how was the wind?
I shot at 25 yrds and I got one large hole (30 rounds) with mine,

Conaso
06-28-2011, 07:11 AM
From the pros and oldtimers, do not switch between copper-washed and lubed-lead ammo, regardless whether high quality or bulk ammo. Shoot one or the other, otherwise, galling may occur. Galling usually refers to the adhesive wear and transfer of material between metallic surfaces in relative converging contact. For my CZ453, I switch between Fed510 (Champion Target) and Wolf Match, both lead bullets and standard velocity, nothing HV. For lead bullets, I only use a patch with power solvent and lightly lube with Ballistol. I do not brush the barrel until accuracy starts to suffer. If you like Stingers, stick with it. Find which ammo shoots best and buy a couple of bricks or a case (same lot#) if you can afford it. The higher quality ammo offers consistency in bullet size/weight, powder weight, primer, rim thickness. It you can put 50 rounds all in 1/2 at 50yds, it's better than 10% in .01 and 90% in 2". I have a scoped Dan Wesson 8" barrelled .357Mag for which I reload. Consistently, I do approx. 1/2 at 25yds and own skeet targets at 100yds. I don't consider myself a good shot but I KNOW that weapon and it's capabilities. :)

noelfr
07-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Remington subsonics work really well. SK Match is really good but twice to three times the cost. That is in both mine and a buddies gun.

TOP PREDATOR
07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
2" at 100 is pretty good with winchester 40 gr bulk, for a bulk type ammo that is HV CCI blazers works well out of the BV too.

generally your match type and standard velocity ammos will produce better accuraccy / consistancy at 100 and 200 yards.

but if your happy with 2" with cheap bulk ammo (and you should be), stick with it. if you want to shrink groups down to 1" to 1.5" at 100, you'll probably have to pay 2 to 3 times or more per box of the "better stuff".

however with the "better stuff" you generally know that it's you that may have threw a few shots off rather than just shrugging it off as a fliers.

Walt T
07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
On the low end of the price range for decent copper washed ammo, I've gotten 1" groups from CCI MiniMags and Winchester SuperX with my BV. After shooting the plated ammo I'll patch with Hoppes, let it sit for a few minutes and pull a brass brush through the bore one time. Then patch again with solvent, oiled patch, then dry patch. This clears the copper fouling. You'll get better groups from standard velocity ammo like CCI SV, Federal AutoMatch, and the Remington 22 Target. These are all lubed lead bullets, and after a shooting session I'll clean the bolt, breach and chamber with solvent, and pull an oiled patch followed by a dry patch through the barrel. I'm anal about clean guns, but my method hasn't deteriorated accuracy and I have no carbon build up so far.
Another thing to get good groups is a solid bench and good rests for the rifle. I don't buy the premium ammo often because I have no need for it, but it's fun to see what my rifles will do with the good stuff. If I'm getting 1" groups from averagely priced ammo, I'm more than happy.

Rifleman51
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Most Savage MKII's are very ammo sensitive. For lower priced ammo, try the Automatch and Dyna Point. Neither will shoot as good as Wolf MT or a few expensive types, but they shoot pretty good in most Savage 22's.
I have a friend who specializes in Savage rifles and he shoots a lot of different ammo, he too has found the two I mentioned to be decent shooting ammo, not match grade, but I can get easy 1/2" groups from either in my accurized BRJ.

John