PDA

View Full Version : Loading 223 on Dillon 650 cant figure this out

chesty for president
06-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Im loading 40 and 50 grain V-Max's on my Dillon 650 and when i measure the OAL some are different. Everything is locked down tight, the shell plate is properly secured. Im bringing the handle to full stroke every single time, I cannot figure out why the over all lengths are coming up different. Any advice is more than welcomed....Respectfully

Guess ill go back to the Rock Chucker

dcloco
06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
It is the seating seating stem giving you the problems. On the plastic tipped bullets, the plastic is touching the inside of the seating stem, instead of the outside edge of the seating stem contacting the bullet.

chesty for president
06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I plan on switching bullets to a non-plastic tip in the 52 grain range only problem is i have quite a few of these damn things laying around...is there any way to make these work so i dont waste them.

KRP
06-26-2011, 11:01 PM
I plan on switching bullets to a non-plastic tip in the 52 grain range only problem is i have quite a few of these damn things laying around...is there any way to make these work so i dont waste them.

Open up the seating stem where the tip touches.

I assume you are measuring OAL to ogive and not to the tip?

chesty for president
06-26-2011, 11:04 PM
No Sir Im measuring to the tip,,,I know now that is not the correct way to measure OAL. You said open up the seating stem? Does that require sanding or polishing of any sort.

Respectfully

KRP
06-26-2011, 11:33 PM
No Sir Im measuring to the tip,,,I know now that is not the correct way to measure OAL. You said open up the seating stem? Does that require sanding or polishing of any sort.

Respectfully

If the seating stem touching the tip is the problem I would open the end a bit with a carbide burr in a dremel/die grinder/lathe. Sanding or polishing only to get rid of a sharp edge that may be left.

chesty for president
06-27-2011, 12:00 AM
I double checked and the seating stem does not contact the tip, the seating stem is pretty deep....im gonna bet the tips being plastic are a little off from each other. Is there a tool so i can measure from the ogive.

KRP
06-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Sinclair, PTG, Hornady, etc. all make a tool for that.

chesty for president
06-27-2011, 11:33 AM
KRP I made a tool that attaches to my micrometer and my loads are all the same when measuring from the ogive instead of the tip. Good lesson learned there. Im gonna order a Forster seating die anyway since my old RCBS has a small scratch in it. I was really surprised how much of a difference measuring from the ogive and then measuring from the tip makes. Thank you again for the advice.

Respectfully

snipecatcher
06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I double checked and the seating stem does not contact the tip, the seating stem is pretty deep....im gonna bet the tips being plastic are a little off from each other. Is there a tool so i can measure from the ogive.

I've found the plastic tips to be MUCH more consistent in length than open tip bullets. Expect .001-.003 difference. What you want is an average overall length.