PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunter custom

Pages : [1] 2

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I just got my hands on a new 116 bear hunter 300 win right out of the custom shop, It has a 26in heavy fluted barrel. I cannot seem to get this thing to shoot at all. I have tried all of my proven load recipes and bullets that I know shoot well. it is to be another long range hunting rifle. I cleaned the barrel 1st off then proceded to do the barrel break in and after 20 rounds it seemed pretty well broke in. I then measured the chamber and the magazine, and then worked up several loads with seating depths varying by 40 thousandths with a proven powder and primer combo using Berger 185 VLD, in 6 shot batch's. my best group measured just over 2 inch's at 100 yards. then changed primers and still shot worse. then switched to different powders and still bad groups. then I switched to a bullet powder primer combo that shoots real well out of almost every rifle that has fired it, and it measured 1 3/4 at a 100. I know the bases and rings are tight and torqued. I then checked the action screws and the front screw was extremely tight. I pulled the action out and checked the stock, all seemed fine. I then put the action back into the stock and centered it seated it and torqued the action screws back to factory specs in the proper order, it still shoots like dog do do. any suggestions? I'm really scratching my head on this on, did I miss anything? Thanks

VjjR
06-26-2011, 12:08 PM
How does the crown look? Whats the scope?

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
It has the factory muzzle break on it so I cant see the crown very well. It is topped with a new Huskemaw 5x20 x50 blue diamond.

VjjR
06-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh yea... weird. Whats the rings and bases.

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Talley one piece rings and bases. same thing I use on any rifle I put together. Its my best friend and hunting partner's rifle and I know with the heavy barrel and all this thing should shoot circles around my normal 116 weather warrior. Just put a browning together for a customer and it is shooting tight groups out beyond 600 yards, mine is too. and I'm working on a weatherby that is shooting a single hole 3 shot group at 100. I KNOW this bear hunter should shoot better than any of these.

tammons
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I would check the typical stuff first, base, rings, scope.

Make sure the tang and barrel are free floated.

Make sure the recoil lug is actually taking the recoil, IE the action bolts are not bound, IE bed it if so.

If you are using magnum primers I would switch to regular primers.

Beyond that I would look at the barrel. Take the brake off (if you can) and look for the even star pattern on the end of the barrel.

That said, everybody says crown, but in all honesty I have read of tests where people cut off a barrel with a hacksaw and test fired and all it did was move the POI, not the accuracy so much. Matter of fact, someone gave me a junk 270 barrel here that somebody cut off with a hacksaw and filed the end with a file, IE no crown, and it shoots inside 1/2"

Also it could just be an iffy barrel.
I would check the chamber with a micrometer and make sure it is centered.
Scope it if you have access to one.

You could also shoot a set of Tubbs FF bullets through it to smooth it out but for me thats a last resort.

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 01:46 PM
I have checked the rings and bases and also that the barrel and tang are free floated I set the action back in the stock and seated the lug so I was sure it was taking the recoil. I am using magnum primers so I will load some with large rifle primers and check that. what tools do I need to take a factory break off? a strap wrench work? I wish I did have a scope , It would be interesting to compare bore's from one rifle to the next. I was thinking seriously about lapping the barrel to smooth it out but that is alot of work. I thank you for the input, and I'm going to go load some rounds with standard primers. Jay

bill2260
06-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Call the custom shop and explain the problem. Maybe they would like to take a look?

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 02:37 PM
changing primers didn't seem to help, it did tightening up the nosler group but didn't make the Berger group any better. He really wants to shoot the Berger's cause he has already bought over 800 rounds of them. he might be out of luck tho. Im gonna do some bedding and then see what happens, and a call to the custom shop on monday.

rsbhunter
06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
What is the twist on the BBL? I have a 300 RUM that shoots the Berger 210 VLD's better than the 190's,,,,, also, try shooting at 200, even 300 yards...i know my rifle groups better at 300-500 than at 100! But thats with the Bergers....rsbhunter

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey rsbhunter, according to the factory it is a 1 in 12 twist, I know the Bergers group better at long range, I've just never had a problem finding a load that shoots better at 100 then others, and then I start from there as far as load development for long range goes. playing with the es and sd, and then gathering the info to have the turents built and then developing a range card for that rifle/ scope/ load combo. this thing just doesnt like anything I feed it. Im now up to 4 different powders, 4 different primers, three bullets and a bunch of combos of it all.

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 04:18 PM
sorry I meant 1 in 10, but I just checked it twice and both times it came out 1 in 10 and a half

pdog06
06-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Is that stock an Accu-stock? If so make sure you follow the cirections for properly tightening the action screws. Apparently if done out of sequence it could affect accuracy.

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Ya its an accu-stock, I have checked the screws twice and tighten them per savages directions. I have probably put 150 rounds thru it this weekend and It will not shoot anything! man you talk about frustrating!!! Im gonna go pull the action out one more time. The bad thing is I know its probably something simple.

rezmedic541
06-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I have the same rifle it shoots clover leafs at 100 yds. with anything you feed it so far from the factory. Just started working up loads for it useing IMR-4350, CCI primers and Hornady and Lapua bullets. The bullets are .225 Hornady SST's , then 250 gr. Hornady BTHP and last 300 gr. Lapua BTHP.

I started working up loads 65 grs.for both the .225's and the 250 gr. bullets. They turned out to be a little slow and grouped no so well about 3 inches for the 225'andmd 250's. The 300 Lapua's got 57 grs. and grouped at just under quarter size at a 100 yds. They also where little slow. I increased all loads 1 gr of powder but it's been to hot to go and find out how they will do.

Will keep you all in the loop.

bowhunter42
06-26-2011, 08:27 PM
I wish this thing wood shoot half that good. I have spent the last hour cleaning it and I still cant seem to get the carbon out and this is only after 12 shots. I can shoot 50 rounds out of mine and get it spotless in 3 or 4 patch's.

sinman
06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Don't worry about a dirty barrel most savage barrels won't shoot until they are fouled. Get about 25 shots through it then start shooting groups.

rezmedic541
06-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Every rifle I have has it's own first target. Why what's the most important shot. Most of my rifle shoot within a quarter inch of that first shot weather they are dirty or clean. Then I shoot what ever I'm shooting that day. All my Savages and my one Stevens are like that all shoot sub MOA's all day long as long as you do your part. This is why I keep going back to them. As far as the Bear Hunter I was kind of scared that I would not be able to handle the recoil but with the break open it's a easy recoil just a tad more then my 8 mm Mauser. I did discover that when shooting off a bench the end of the barrel needs to over the edge or the rifle will jump way up Savage should have blanked the bottom of it cause on dirt I make my own dust storm. I do a lot of 1000 yd. stuff and have a friend that wants to shoot 1760 yds. with his .338 Lapua Mag so I told him if he could do it with his Remy me and my Savage could do it to.

bowhunter42
06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
My 116 is the same way rezmedic, it shoots the same with a clean cold bore or one that has 75 rounds thru it, the last time I shot it it shot the first 2 shots at 712 yards and the holes were touching and a 2in 4 shot group at 600 and that is pretty much a stock factory rifle.that is why I'm frustrated about this bear hunter, I know what these rifles are capable of and this one just wont do it.

rezmedic541
06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
How much torque are you useing on the bolts?? I only use 45 in.lbs on the rear and 50 on the front. I tried useing the factory settings on one of them and the rifle shot like crap looked more like a shotgun going off then a rifle might try playing with those. This may have already been said but have you tried a different scope on you know for a fact it works. I have had scope that appear to be working and where moving on the inside but always shot very close to zero every time. Next is where are you at if your in AZ maybe we can get together and I could have a look see a new set of eye balls sometimes is all you need.