PDA

View Full Version : Carbelite

daisy2007
06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Does anyone know the screw spacing on the bell & carleson carbelite stock for a short action? I can't find it anywhere.

rossman40
06-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't go with the Carbelite for a Savage. Spend a few more dollars and go with the Duramaxx.

daisy2007
06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Duramaxx is only for heavy barrels. Looking for something for sportier weight.
Thanks though.

KRP
06-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Carbelite is stagger feed length(4.27").

If you are paying more for a Duramaxx than a Carbelite you are shopping the wrong place.

jpdown
06-27-2011, 02:10 PM
The Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic still has the stagger feed spacing as noted above. I have modified a couple to centerfeed. Fill the front hole with bondo and touching up with matching paint. Then re-drilling a new hole at the correct spacing. Use a new drill bit and go slow, so as not to build up a lot of heat, or the stock material will melt and bubble. ;D I ran into a metal frame/plate in the stock that you must drill through. You may find the the magazine well is oversized compared to a centerfeed stock. So you may have trouble using the L-clip to hold spring loaded mag in place. I ended up putting 4 small balls of plummer epoxy putty in each corner of the well and pressing the magazine box into the putty. Use release agent and tape mag box to the action with a business card in between for proper spacing. This forms a base for the box to set on so that it is at the right height for smooth feeding. Remove mag box after about 5-10 minutes and trim away any excess putty before in hardens completely. Use 2 small wood screws in the tapered grooves on the side of the mag box to hold firmly in place. Otherwise the spring loaded follower will push the mag box all around the well and up against the action. The Carbelite Classic stock is lighter (28 -32 oz) than a wood stock and a welcome improvement over the factory plastic. The Duramax stock is heavier and the barrel channel is too wide for a sporter barrel. The picture shows a laminated stock that I converted from stagger feed to centerfeed using the method I've described.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0014.jpg

daisy2007
06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Carbelite is stagger feed length(4.27").

If you are paying more for a Duramaxx than a Carbelite you are shopping the wrong place.

Thank you. That was the info I was looking for.

daisy2007
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
The Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic still has the stagger feed spacing as noted above. I have modified a couple to centerfeed. Fill the front hole with bondo and touching up with matching paint. Then re-drilling a new hole at the correct spacing. Use a new drill bit and go slow, so as not to build up a lot of heat, or the stock material will melt and bubble. ;D I ran into a metal frame/plate in the stock that you must drill through. You may find the the magazine well is oversized compared to a centerfeed stock. So you may have trouble using the L-clip to hold spring loaded mag in place. I ended up putting 4 small balls of plummer epoxy putty in each corner of the well and pressing the magazine box into the putty. Use release agent and tape mag box to the action with a business card in between for proper spacing. This forms a base for the box to set on so that it is at the right height for smooth feeding. Remove mag box after about 5-10 minutes and trim away any excess putty before in hardens completely. Use 2 small wood screws in the tapered grooves on the side of the mag box to hold firmly in place. Otherwise the spring loaded follower will push the mag box all around the well and up against the action. The Carbelite Classic stock is lighter (28 -32 oz) than a wood stock and a welcome improvement over the factory plastic. The Duramax stock is heavier and the barrel channel is too wide for a sporter barrel. The picture shows a laminated stock that I converted from stagger feed to centerfeed using the method I've described.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0014.jpg

Thanks. Very good info. there.