PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Barrel Shortening and Re Crown

teebirdhyzer
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi,

i have a mark II in HM2 with the sporter barrel. I would like to chop a few inches off the barrell to possibly stiffen it up and help the harmonics. Any ideas on what this might cost, or recommendations for the work.

bootsmcguire
06-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Send a PM off to Devin at Sinarms. He is a sponsor here and may be able to take care of you. He goes by the handle "Sinman" on here. Just my 2 cents.

TOP PREDATOR
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
did it the redneck way, results and how to here:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,36859.0.html

Walt T
06-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I did mine out of necessity, because I dropped my MKII G on the muzzle and had a big gouge in the crown. I decided to try it myself before taking it to a smith, with the wait and money on a $180 rifle. I put a hose clamp on the barrel for a guide for the saw and chopped off 2", then used a mill bastard file to get it perfectly square. I cut the crown with a diamond point bit chucked in a pin vice very slowly by hand. I then finished it up by using a brass slotted round head machine screw and lapping compound in an electric drill. It wasn't right the first range trial, so I brought a cordless drill and the rest of the stuff on my next range trip and fine tuned it with 10 shot groups with CCI Minimags. I got it down dime groups at 50 yards and quarter at 100 with a bipod and rear bag and called it good. I'm certain this would be better if I had a good bench rest setup. Pretty happy with it, the groups improved by about 1/4" over original.
Best of luck with yours, whatever you do.

cheap22
06-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Took a MKII-G Accuatrigger.and cut 4 inches off and made it a 17 inch barrel.Went from shooting 3/4 inch to shooting 3/8 inch @ 50yds.Did it all myself Cut the barrel off with a pipe cutter,it worked great.Had to do very little filing.crowned it with a brass wood screw and lapping compound. Am very happy with it.Use it for CMP and Shilo. Cheap22

cheap22
08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Teebird hope you received my reply on cutting down my MKII-G.Cheap22

Rifleman51
08-10-2011, 12:36 PM
You may get decent results cutting off the barrel yourself and working the muzzle with a brass screw and some abrasive, but the crown is one of the most important things when it comes to accuracy. Get it done right by a good gunsmith, it will pay off with better groups.
I have yet to see a properly recut muzzle that will not shoot better. A smith with a good lathe, setting the barrel up correctly and using a PTG 60 degree cutter will turn out a beautiful crown, razor sharp, it will shoot.
I'm a retired smith, started the Savagegunsmithing business, retired and sold the business to a great smith about 7 years ago.
I've cut hundreds of crowns, a good crown is worth every dime spent.
I'm sure I'll hear how great the results some have had just hacking off the barrel, but 10 to 1, it will still shoot better with a properly cut crown.

John

cheap22
08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
John I could not agree more.I spent a little over three years working in a machine shop on my off days from the fire dept.There where three machinist and me.But had to try it myself,knowing I could get help if needed.And mine worked great.Dime size groups at 50yds with CCI-SV.I know a pipe cutter is not the best but it work real good.made for a straight cut.Good chance next time I will use a lathe.

CaptnDan
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I've had several cut off for my striker. My local smith charges $40 to cut and re-crown.
(Your's might be cheaper since you don't need as much cut off :-))