PDA

View Full Version : Cost of custom order from Savage?

ba_50
06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
The way I understand it, I call Savage and tell them what I want and they call the FFl and he determines the cost. Does Savage charge more for doing this? About how much. Is it cost effective or is one better off buying a rifle, selling the barrel and getting the caliber I want?

Neither Bud's gun shop nor Whittakers would do anything but a local dealer might. He is just higher priced then others.

I am interested in getting a 10 Predator Max fire 1 in a LH .243 or a 12 vlp LH with a predator 24" 243 barrel, or a 10 tactical LH iwith a Predator 243 barrel.

Thanks.

Eric in NC
06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
You should ask this in the 10/110 board.

sharpshooter
06-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Typically anything that comes from the custom shop has a atleast a $200.00 premium above the closest base model it's made from. The dealer only decides how much they want to mark it up.

scope eye
06-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Hi with Savage's so easy to work on it's not worth going that route, you can get a match barrel for roughly the same money as a custom order, and have a new take off barrel to sell and absorb some of the cost.
Dean

ba_50
06-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi with Savage's so easy to work on it's not worth going that route, you can get a match barrel for roughly the same money as a custom order, and have a new take off barrel to sell and absorb some of the cost.
Dean

I would prefer a match barrel and it sounds like this is the way to go. Would it be easier to peddle a 12 vlp 22/250 or tactical 10 308 barrel? The laminate is a better stock in my opinion and with a med/heavy barrel it shouldn't be nearly as barrel heavy.

Why don't they have the 12 included in the 110 board? Same action? It's confusing.

earl39
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Why don't they have the 12 included in the 110 board? Same action? It's confusing.

It is included.

scope eye
06-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi I would go with the 22-250 they have a much shorter life span, 1000 -2000 rounds max they are not as popular as 308 5000 rounds+ but all things being equal, I am confident the 22-250 would sell first if both were up for grabs at the same time.
thanks Dean.

5spd
06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Check ER-Shaws web site, they will build you a "custom" Savage to your specs and will email you the price shipped to your FFL.
They have a build site, or you can call.
The one I wanted them to do was only $760, but I ended up building my own.

ba_50
06-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Check ER-Shaws web site, they will build you a "custom" Savage to your specs and will email you the price shipped to your FFL.
They have a build site, or you can call.
The one I wanted them to do was only $760, but I ended up building my own.

I can't find any new LH short actions (DBM) nor LH stocks that would work for a scratch rifle. Savage took the LH tactical and VLP out of their catalog. Not good for us LH shooters. I think they should sell the Predator with a LH option as first choice and tactical second in varmint calibers. Maybe they will someday.

3fingervic
06-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll tell you what I did. I called Savage to find out if they could make the firearm that I wanted, a 110 FCP-K in left handed. Then I found a local guy (FFL dealer) who would order the gun, and only charge me $25 for the transfer fee. He had me send the check to Savage with a letter and his FFl #, he said that way I wouldn't have to pay the tax. Six weeks later they sent the gun to my FFL guy. I was $200 over dealer cost for the custom work, which was less than what they wanted for a right handed version at a local shop.

With all that said, I think it could have been done differently. I could have got a left handed action, and pieced it together. It would have been about the same price, but I would have gotten a better stock and barrel. The gun I did get from Savage is a tack driver, so I can't complain.

Hammer
06-24-2011, 11:13 AM

One of the great pleasures of the Savage is that it is an "erector set".

You can have a new combination every day to play with.

I was working the potential mathematical combinations available just based on the components I already have.

I could have a new custom rifle every day for the remainder of my and my children's lives.

Having said that, the Savage Custom Shop is great and I have used them multiple times.

Their cost for me was always very reasonable.

I will use them again.

Also, remember that we have some great sponsors and vendors on this site.

I have used most if not all of them with great satisfaction for customizing Savages.

3fingervic
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I agree with Hammer. I would definitely use the sponsors here. They seem to have very reasonable prices. The waits may be a little longer, but I think it will be worth it. If I were to do another gun, I would get an action from Northland and have SSS barrel and stock it.

lostart
06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I had one made from the custom shop last year. The wait for mine was fairly long, but the gun shoots and looks perfect. It did cost me about 200-250 more than one on the shelf. Well worth the cost i think. I got what i wanted at a fair price. Effie was great the whole time, she definately earned her keep with me as a customer.

That said, one could build their own and have that pride and self accoplishment of doing it themselves.

ba_50
06-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I agree with Hammer. I would definitely use the sponsors here. They seem to have very reasonable prices. The waits may be a little longer, but I think it will be worth it. If I were to do another gun, I would get an action from Northland and have SSS barrel and stock it.

Northland doesn't have any blued LH .243 actions like the DBM LE model which should be cheaper then stainless. They haven't had a LH VLP .473 rifle listed for quite awhile either. It is a good price too. Not sure how a med/hvy barrel would be for balance but probably close to a Remington 700 VLS . The biggest problem is getting a LH stock to work with that action. A Rh stock would have to be modified. I want either a DBM or dropping floorplate action, not the internal box type. Nothing is easy for LH shooters.

3fingervic
06-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, if you can't find what you're looking for action wise, you may have to call Savage Custom shop. Or you could look in the classifieds for a used gun with action you're looking for. I have seen some good deals on used Savages on a local gun site, but didn't pull the trigger. Really, either way you can't go wrong.

ofdscooby
06-26-2011, 03:09 PM
How custom will the custom shop get ? Could I get a target action in left hand? I know I probably need to call them but I was just wondering if anybody knew.

Hammer
06-26-2011, 08:56 PM

The Savage Custom Shop is an extension of the erector set mindset.

It does not do any custom machining or metal work or wood work.

It assembles existing components into combinations not listed as factory offerings.

For example, let's say that the 260 Remington cartridge was only factory available in the current catalog in right-hand with a synthetic stock and you wanted a lefty in a wood stock.

The 260 Rem will fit existing left-hand actions and there are left-hand walnut stocks in production.

The Custom Shop would screw the 260 Rem barrel on their left-hand action and put it in a walnut stock for you.