PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap and scope mount question

TonyBen
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm still a ways off from doing a barrel swap on my 110. I have the barrel nut wrench and I just ordered a complete magnum bolt assembly from Midway to do my 30-06 to 300 win mag conversion. I will be getting my EGW picatinny scope base today and was considering bedding the scope base. I am wondering if I even need to bed the base. I just bought a kokopelli scope lapping and alignment kit so either way, that sucker will be perfectly aligned. It will house a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50.

Will I have to remove the scope base to do the barrel change? Will my action wrench fit? If I do bed it, I should be able to remove the scope base with a little positive encouragement, correct; or will the screws be permanently fused to the receiver? I suppose I could add some greae or shoe polish to the mounting screws.

Any tips or "gotcha's" that I need to know about? I don't plan on buying any more Savages but who knows.....

This one is slated to be a switch-barrel gun between 308, 30-06, 270 and 300 WM. It's going to remain 30-06 until this year's hunting season is over, then I will do the 300 WM conversion and eventually get the 308 barrel next year. I am leaning toward the Criterion barrels.

Tony.

bowhunter42
06-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I only bed my bases if I never plan on removing the scope and bases from the rifle but you can remove them with a little heat. always coat your screws with a release agent and the holes,other wise you with play hell getting them back out if ever. Your barrel nut wrench should fit just fine as long as the bases don't extend over the nut I have seen bases that do.being a switch barrel gun I don't think I would bed the base if it was me, Just make sure the base screws are torqued the proper amount and I like to add a little purple lock tite to the screws.

airaddict
06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
i considered chopping up my wrench to make it kind of like a spanner wrench or just cutting a wedge out of it so i have clearance to slip it over the barrel instead of all the way down the barrel to clear the bell of my scope. i dont plan to make it gorrilla tight like the factory but give it a good rap to set the threads when snugging it up (30lbs or so). that way i wont have to remove the scope to swap barrels if i choose. i would just have to rezero.

brian

DannoBoone
06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
AFTER you remove the factory installed barrel, this tool is is really fantastic and there is no need to
worry about the scope mount getting in the way:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/176

It slides through the receiver where the bolt usually goes. For the first time removal of the factory
installed barrel, you do need to use another method with the barrel nut wrench. The barrel never
needs to be replaced so tightly.

Bedding the base is no big deal and should be done on some Savage receivers, for they are not true.
Just use release agent on the receiver as you would bedding the stock. I use release agent on both
the screws and the holes for added insurance against any mechanical lock. Brake cleaner gets it
out of the holes without much problem. I use the Leupold QRW rings for easy scope removal and
replacement.

TonyBen
06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks.

Posted some other stuff but decided to delete it all and start a new thread in the optics section.

Tony.