PDA

View Full Version : Savage Long Action DBM

jsthntn247
06-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I am gathering parts to re do my 7mag. I was wondering if there was anyway I could set my gun up for detachable box magazine/bottom metal. I currently have a staggerfeed with hindged floorplate.

Handloader
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Yep...Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Guns makes and inlets bottom metal for LA stocks to accept AI mags. That said Long actions AI mags are about $85.00 each for 5 rounders, and about $300 for 10 rounders......

VjjR
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Staggered feed magazines were released by a button on the side of the stock. so the inlets for a hinged floorplate and a dbm system are not interchangeable on them like they are on the centerfeeds. But if your planning on going with a new stock(?) you have more options.

chakup
06-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Depends on what caliber your doing. But I'd suggest CDI- and they do their LA in both 308 length and magnum length!!

tammons
06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
You need everything as far as I know.

You need the DBM stock, button, metal bracket that attaches to the action, and the magazine and follower.
Also if the opening where the metal bracket attaches is too small, IE like with an internal mag action, you will have to have that area milled or dremil it a bit.

I modified the bracket and mag slightly to fit on a factory staggerfeed internal mag action, but I would not recommend doing it that way. It was a real PIA with a lot of hammering bending filing and fitting. Finally got it to fit, but now only that magazine will fit.

I will probably un-modify it one day and mill the action.

BTW, I dont know the exact length of the required opening for the action for a DBM.
Ask around. Somebody here does for sure or can measure their factory action.

I bought everything here on classifieds for about $100.

jsthntn247
06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I was actually considering buying a stockade stock and getting in inleted for the dbm. Any ideas on how much the parts would run. Will the 300 Win mag clips work for a 7mag?

Varget 7-08
06-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Yep...Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Guns makes and inlets bottom metal for LA stocks to accept AI mags. That said Long actions AI mags are about $85.00 each for 5 rounders, and about $300 for 10 rounders......

Ha no, $140 for 10 round mags. http://www.triadtactical.com/Accuracy-International-10-round-300WM-magazine.html

Varget 7-08
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
I just got my CDI bottom metal in today for my 300WM build. I'd go with CDI again, very will built. Also never heard a bad thing about them.