PDA

View Full Version : New Axis in .223

WAHOOMAN
06-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Hello everyone. New to this forum. Finally took my New Axis in .223 caliber to the range. Shot targets at the 100 and 200 yard line. I used an old 4X Redfield scope. Once I zeroed the scope, I did pretty good at hitting my targets (one gallon fruit juice jugs). These jugs come in different colors so they are easy to view at long distances. I fired Remington - 55 gr; PMC - 55 gr FMJ-BT and Monarch - 55gr FMJ-BT ammo. No issues loading or ejecting the rounds. No regrets buying the weapon. Too much plastic on the rifle (just an observation, not a complaint). My next accessory purchase will be a bipod. Any suggestions? Someone from another thread mentioned an utg tactical from Cheaper Than Dirt. Also, I noticed a local vendor has a Sevens Model 200 in .243 caliber for sale for $295. This particular weapon has iron sights and is also tapped and drilled for a scope. When researching this rifle, I noticed some of these models have iron sights and some do not. Why do some Steven Model 200 have the iron sights and others do not? Were the ones with iron sights a limited edition? Just wondering.

usnavyvet
06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I've got the rifle in 308. Surprised that you didn't mention the trigger pull. I love the rifle, but what was Savage thinking? The pull must be at least 8 pounds! I got it zeroed at 100, but I cant say that it was an enjoyable experience. This is as close to a "childproof " rifle as I've ever experienced, it would take at least a 12yo to pull this trigger. In B-R-A-S-S terminology, the surprise was usually that it finally fired.

Now, I currently own two Savage rifles, this Axis and a MkII, and I bought my first savage over 50 years ago, so I am not bashing Savage, but I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of a Basix Sav-1 trigger. I'm sure that if I dont resolve the trigger issue, that the rifle will go into the safe and I'll never shoot it again.

godale
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
save the money and use it on glass or ammo. buy a utg tactical bipod from cheaper than dirt for under 33.00. these are great little bipods for a rimfire or a 223.just snug it every now and then .

DoubleUp
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
usnavyvet, you will be satisified with the Rifle Basix trigger. You can change springs on the standard trigger and get it down to around 3 or 4 lbs, but the RBT will get you down to at least to 2 lbs. I didn't try to go any lower.

RWCshooter
07-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Hello All, I just ordered and paid for a new Axis in 223. Now let the 10 day waiting period begin. I love California, I do, but really 10 days? It's okay, because I am really looking forward to getting it and trying it out at the range. I hope also to learn as much as I can from the many members on this forum...