PDA

View Full Version : Have quit loading for accuracy

Hammer
06-18-2011, 09:18 AM

In the big bores I have quit loading and pursuing accuracy.

If all the bullet holes touch each other at 300 yards, that is good enough.

After that, just focus on terminal target performance.

Maximum hole depth and hole volume.

A well-constructed 600-grain bullet hitting the target with a retained velocity over 2,400 fps within an inch of the intended spot can make up for some misplacement.

Slenk
06-18-2011, 09:31 AM

In the big bores I have quit loading and pursuing accuracy.

If all the bullet holes touch each other at 300 yards, that is good enough.

After that, just focus on terminal target performance.

Maximum hole depth and hole volume.

A well-constructed 600-grain bullet hitting the target with a retained velocity over 2,400 fps within an inch of the intended spot can make up for some misplacement.

Works for me.

TOO Builder
06-18-2011, 09:44 AM
That should put your mind at ease in the prairie dog town. Shoot projectiles that are larger than your target and elliminate the worries about shot placement, I like it!

northlander
06-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Hammer,
I have tried what you are suggesting, problem I have been having is my 20 cal 600 grain bullets are slowing down my feed rate. having to hand screw 7.70" of bullet into my rifling prior to shooting is getting real old. I am also not getting anywhere near the 2400 FPS of velocity that you are discussing. I may have to try Retumbo of something in that burn rate.

NSS

Tbob
06-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Hammer,
I have tried what you are suggesting, problem I have been having is my 20 cal 600 grain bullets are slowing down my feed rate. having to hand screw 7.70" of bullet into my rifling prior to shooting is getting real old. I am also not getting anywhere near the 2400 FPS of velocity that you are discussing. I may have to try Retumbo of something in that burn rate.

NSS

WOW! And just what twist do you have on that barrel for a 7" bullet?? :o

bowhunter42
06-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I heard the Army has also adopted this philosophy on their big bores, they stand back and shoot at things miles away they don't need a direct hit just need to get in the region of their intended target. twist rate for a seven inch long 600 gn Berger Vld in 6mm is 1 in 1 twist. ( Berger catalog)

SFLEFTY
06-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know Hammer, sounds kind of sloppy to me. ;D