PDA

View Full Version : fireforming barrel question

yorketransport
06-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Could I make a fireforming barrel out of a barrel with the wrong bore diameter?

Here's the scenario, I have a 338 bore barrel that has proven to be pretty worthless. I've tried different chamberings, new crown, different actions, stocks, you name it. This sucker is a tomato stake! In the next couple of days I should be getting my 375 RUM Improved reamer. Could I rechamber my 338 bore barrel with the 375 reamer to use as a fireforming barrel when shooting Cream of Wheat fireforming loads. Obviously it wouldn't work to fire bullets, but with the COW method, I can't think of any real harm that could come from doing this.

What do you think?

Andrew

GaCop
06-18-2011, 07:15 AM
It's doable but the barrel needs to be well marked "for fireforming with filler only" just in case there was a was chance someone else got a hold of that barrel.

Uncle Jack
06-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Whatever you do, make sure the barrel remains at least 16+ inches long.

uj

geargrinder
06-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Whatever you do, make sure the barrel remains at least 16+ inches long.

uj

He shoots a Striker. It doesn't need to be 16"+ if it doesn't go on a rifle action.

Andrew, what about the pilot? Are you using a solid or interchangeable? I think the reamer might not be able to cut in the area between the rear of the bushing and the lead/freebore section of the reamer. The reamer would act like a drill in that section.

yorketransport
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
The barrel is still 22", so the length is good.

[\Andrew, what about the pilot? Are you using a solid or interchangeable? I think the reamer might not be able to cut in the area between the rear of the bushing and the lead/freebore section of the reamer. The reamer would act like a drill in that section.

This something I thought of yesterday. It's an interchangeable pilot reamer, but like you said I'm not sure that the reamer will be able to cut the smaller bore. I think my attempts to be cheap are just going to cost more money. ;D

Andrew