PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 stock bolt torque spec

mil-dot
06-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Well, I think I messed up. I got my rifle about 2 years ago and took it all apart to clean and paint. I guess when I put it back together I used cheap allen wrench to tighten the stock bolts up. Back then I knew nothing about torque specs.

Recently I noticed my groups opening up a little. An ole' timer at the range told me to check the torque on the bolts. Well.....the bolt directly behind the trigger guard won't tighten, but it also isn't horribly loose.

The other two bolts would tighten, but just as I was nearing 45lbs...I noticed the allen head starting to strip or the allen socket was turning in the bolt...needless to stay I stopped.

I'm gonna shoot Saturday to make sure its not all over the place. I have my first competition next Sunday. If its all over the place I'll take it apart and investigate and call Savage on Monday. Hopefully, she won't have to go back due to my ignorance...

Jesse

tinkerer
06-17-2011, 11:56 PM
I've heard about 35 Ft Lbs is fine.

It definitely should be no where near sufficient to strip a bolt or twist off the head.

Larry
Tinkerer

thirty06
06-18-2011, 06:52 AM
The screw behind the trigger guard is just to hold the trigger guard. It's a wood screw, if it doesn't want to tighten
pull it out and break a toothpick off in the hole and re tighten.
As far as torque goes I hope you guys mean INCH lbs. not ft. I start at 30 in. lbs. and work up from there.
It doesn't take as much as some people think. Just check it a little more often till you get what you want.

mil-dot
06-19-2011, 11:49 AM
:o :o :o

no wonder the gunsmith asked, "who put this on." I confessed it was me. I asked him what he thought about 35 lbs. he said sounded fine. Holey smokes...I never thought or knew about in. lbs.

Figures...just spent $45 on a ft. lb. wrench...all well, back to drawing board....

I got the stripped bolts out, now I just gotta call Savage and get new ones shipped out.

I might try starting at 5 ft lbs and work up to 10 ft. lbs.

Jesse

jglover_81
06-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Unless I'm mistaken 5 ft-lbs would still be aprox 60 in-lbs

mil-dot
06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
No, your right....I'm looking around for a In. Lb. Torque wrench...harbor freight has one for $20...I might order it.

tinkerer
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Oops, their right. I stand corrected. Why didn't spell check catch that?

Larry
Tinkerer

mil-dot
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Well...i got an inch lb. torque wrench....bolts are ordered now just gotta get them in the snail mail...

I plan on shooting my first match next month...Red Brush Rifle range in Evansville, In. Its sounds like a simple course. 8 stages, 5 rounds per course some are timed and the distance is given on most. However some you are given the target size and expected to mil it.

I was hoping to shoot this Sunday, but I decided breaking my rifle would be more fun!!!!!

Oh to top it off the match cost $8.00 ;D

Jesse

mil-dot
07-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Alright, after spending around $16....I'm back on target. I tightened them to 40 in/lbs.

Jesse