PDA

View Full Version : case ejection - sometimes

Pages : [1] 2

hunter2
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
OK, 300-221...I have tried the larger detent ball, extractor from SSS, dremeled the ejector, and better spring. Still will only eject about 1 in 3. So far my experience with the Savage ejection problems ( short and long action, 2 ) has been a real pain. After a few hundred rounds you have to replace parts. Does anybody else find this reliability issue a problem? Static ejectors maybe, somehow..Anything else I can try? I guess the reason it bothers me is I have always shot Winchester push feed bolt guns and have never had an ejection problem. ??? :'( ???

GaCop
06-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Extraction/ejection has always seemed to be a weak point of the Savage. I have a Model 110 7mm mag (factory- "F" prefex serial number) that is anemic and doesn't even throw the case clear of the action. It' also feeds poorly from the magazine like the mag rounds are too wide at the belt to fit in the mag like they should.

Joe O
06-18-2011, 07:52 AM
I had extractor problems on a new LRPV,and in the process of trying to free up the extractor movement,launched it into the bowles of my shop.A call to the factory got me a new extractor and spring(I already had a supply of SSS detent balls).Well that didn&#39;t inprove the situation,but since I also had a excessive primer flow problem<I sent it in for repair.for both issues.(I sent pics of the primer problem,so they initiated a pick up order with UPS the next day.The pro shop changed out the bolt head(first time for right ejection,which they caught beforhee shipping back to me).On return,the primer flow problem was corrected 90% but the gun only ejected 3 of ten rounds,They also sent me two enbrosed savage patches and a nice leather sling.
I called Customer service (Effie Sullivan)again,and asked them to send me two extractors and I would take care of the problem myself,as I was not inclined to return it to the factory.They sent two of every part for the bolt head.Inspecting the extractors,it was apparent that the machine work was excellent.I
installed and all ejections were solid from then on.I give an A+ to Savage customer service and a C- to quality control.

kdvarmint
06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I have trouble with my 22-250 ejecting. I think because the cases are short and they angle too much against the side of the action as the bolt comes back allowing them to "pop" free before they clear the action. Does anyone have a solution?

GaCop
06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
I think a longer extractor AND larger detent ball would do wonders. I&#39;m going to have to contact Effie and get a new extractor. My "old" bolt has the short extractor.

hunter2
06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I hope it works for you...Anybody else have any suggestions?

GaCop
06-19-2011, 04:23 AM
Could be that the bolt head is larger than .473 causing a sloppy case fit. Does the poor extraction happen with all brands of cases? Certain brands of brass are a little smaller in the head than the norm. So many variables!

hunter2
06-19-2011, 09:57 PM
So far Winchester is the only brand that will half way eject. The rim is one to three thou thicker. When I changed the extractor the ejection was about 90 percent. After 122 rds. it is down to almost a third. Can you get better - more percise - bolt heads somewhere?

GaCop
06-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Talk to Fred at Sharp Shoter Supply, he may be able to help you. My 7mm magnum is an absolute failure with WW Super brass. It will extract it but no amount of bolt speed to the rear will throw it clear of the ejection port, it just drops off the extractor.

jonbearman
06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I would carefully grind a small angle on the extractor to force it to slam it side ways.

L.F.Combs
06-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I have a really bad time with the ejector on my Stevens 200..... I finally just stopped bothering with it, and am shooting it as a single shot right now to finish testing.... they really need to redesign this part of their rifles.

threepdr
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Same with my Stevens .223. It extracts just fine, the case typically just falls off the extractor and lays on top of the magazine. Then I turn it sideways and dump it out. I wish it ejected as well as it shoots!

L.F.Combs
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I love the accuracy of my Stevens.... I am thinking about getting me a Fred Sled....then just going with it single shot. Haven&#39;t made my mind up yet.

sha-ul
08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Hunter2, have you had any luck in resolving this issue?

hunter2
09-01-2011, 01:12 AM
No. Ordered another extractor and ball. Same as the last. Was looking at the new light wt hunter and it looks like some of the action is cut out. Was wondering if some of the 12 could be cut out so it would try to eject sooner?

sha-ul
09-01-2011, 01:21 AM
I have been working on my 300wtf build for way too long, on vacation this week, so I finally mounted up the scope yesterday, never had any ammo for it until last weekend, and in the process of setting up the loading bench tomorrow before going on a camping trip friday, but with mine, dropping unloaded brass into the chamber& cycling the action, it has extracted& ejected properly every time.
Now I preemptively changed to the biggest detent ball that was in the package that one guy was selling here, and I noticed that the ejector plunger seems to have a very stiff spring in it.

rusty815
09-01-2011, 02:37 AM
the only issue ive had with ejection of cartridges is that its pretty weak, it requires a strong pull on the bolt to eject the cartridge for me or else it just jumps back into the receiver for me, otherwise its just fine.

sha-ul
09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I finally had the chance to run a box of Remington 220 grn sub sonic 300 blk through the rifle, and I am stumped, beforehand, it would eject every time, regardless, then when firing then it wouldn't eject a single round >:( more than a little frustrating.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/russell_smith93/forum%20source%20pics/completemagnumbolthead.jpg
I am wondering is a magnum style bolt heat could be made in other sizes, say 223 case size. if this would resolve many of the ejection problems that seem to plague Savages.

sha-ul
10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I finally had the chance to run a box of Remington 220 grn sub sonic 300 blk through the rifle, and I am stumped, beforehand, it would eject every time, regardless, then when firing then it wouldn't eject a single round >:( more than a little frustrating.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/russell_smith93/forum%20source%20pics/completemagnumbolthead.jpg
I am wondering is a magnum style bolt heat could be made in other sizes, say 223 case size. if this would resolve many of the ejection problems that seem to plague Savages.
I have been pondering recently if anyone has tried to build a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine off of a Savage action, if a person could install a magnum style bolt head such as pictured above, you could get it to reliably cycle 45acp& it shouldn't take too much to build an adapter to hold a 1911 magazine.

308Gunsmith
10-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I've had to replace my extractor just once on a model 12, 308win. I ordered extras parts from Brownells just in case I need them. I've found that it is the extractor spring goes bad after all the recoil, The bolt head isn't the problem.