PDA

View Full Version : case ejection - sometimes

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
10-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I am confused. You have an extraction issue or ejector issue? You replaced parts for both. Have you measured your bolt head? What was the dimension. Is it used? Could the wrong bolt head or extractor have been installed? Are you having any other problems?

762X51
10-21-2013, 10:42 AM
I have trouble with my 22-250 ejecting. I think because the cases are short and they angle too much against the side of the action as the bolt comes back allowing them to "pop" free before they clear the action. Does anyone have a solution?

You've just expressed what I've always suspected too. On smaller/shorter cases, once they leave the chamber and before getting to the point of ejection, the extreme angle greatly lessens the amount of pressure the ejector applies to the case. I've noticed most full sized rifle cases for chamberings like 30-06, 270 and 7mm will eject with vigor (assuming everything else is working properly) while the .223s (and as you noted 22-250) are a little anemic. It's basic geometry really and unless the entire rifle is scaled down with the cartridge then the geometry changes and I guess we just have to live with the trials.

762X51
10-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I am wondering is a magnum style bolt heat could be made in other sizes, say 223 case size. if this would resolve many of the ejection problems that seem to plague Savages.

I know this is an old post but, YES, YES and YES!!! It would solve a multitude of problems and eliminate a monkey that has been riding Savage's back for years. A blade type ejector would be a beautiful thing!