PDA

View Full Version : New with Questions

ky-n
06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
First post so please be gentle, I have read though most of the archives but still have a few questions about a recent acquisition. I just picked up a Stevens 110E Series K in 243, s/n D427xxx with an AO scope for $100, actually I was told it was a Savage before I picked it up, but they are kissin cousins so no harm there I guess. Near as I can figure it is about a 1978 model, if anyone knows I would appreciate knowing for sure. What I wanted this gun for was to build a heavy barrel long range shooter in 243, I know there are better calibers out there for long range but the 243 meets my wants and needs. Plus I already reload 243 for my little Remington 600.

In the beginning I wanted to use a Mauser 98 to base the build on but after learning more about the Savage action decided that was a better way for me to go to meet my needs since seems like I can do most everything I want to it myself ( I like the HANDS ON approach :)).

First of all I do know from reading I have the First Gen short action with the 4.55 screw spacing and that stocks are near impossible to find, at least the kind I was wanting, real walnut, not laminate. Not a deal breaker, yet. Now for the questions.

1. Is there some place I have not found yet that makes stocks for this action other than SSS or Stackade, remember wanting a nice walnut. I have checked the usual Boyd's, Richards, Stocky's, etc.

2. Is this a good action to base a build on or should I look for another, I have located an older Savage in 7mm and another Stevens 200 in 22-250. I could get either one for less than $300 and since I am not concerned about the barrel/caliber of them since I would be changing it anyway.

3. Thinking along the lines of a 26" barrel 1-10 or 1-8 twist, would really prefer a 1-9 twist like the Remington since it handles 105gr bullets VERY well. Just not real sure about the faster 1-8 twist with lighter bullet weights in the 60 to 75gr range. Any recommendations as to one replacement barrel over another, of course not wanting to break the bank either.

4. Lastly , any special concerns or hidden issues that would need to be addressed with the 110E action.

Thanks
John

GaCop
06-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the forum! Save yourself a lot of headaches and build off a newer Savage or Stevens action. Leave the old 243 in it's current configuration and just enjoy it. As far as twist rate, you can order an after market barrel with whatever twist rate you want to suit your needs. Talk to Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply, Jim at Northland Shooting Supply or Devin at Sinarms, they all are forum sponsors and will help you all they can.

pdog06
06-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Due to the lack of stocks available for the 4.522" "J" action I would go with the Stevens 200 for your new build, then you can get about any part you want for it.

FYI, Richards will build you a stock with that spacing cause I had one done for mine, but you'd be way ahead to stay away from them. They tend to be VERY rough cut when you get them and require ALOT of TLC to finish them. If you can get by all that though they do look very nice when finished, and they do offer some nice styles.

Be much easier to save yourself all that headache and start with the Stevens 200 action though.

82boy
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the site.
There is nothing wrong with the action that you have. As noted the spacing does require a custom stock, but considering you only have to buy the stock once, and you are looking for a custom stock anyways I don't see it as an problem or an obstacle. I like the look of hardwood, but the only option is to either find an factory stock (Like finding a needle in a hay stack.) or have one made. All other parts will interchange with the action you have.

On barrels most aftermarket 6mm barrels are offered in 8 twist. You can get a cut rifled barrel and get it in just about any twist you could want, in 1/4 twist intervals. The 1 in 8 twist barrels handle light bullets just fine, and as far as 105's it will handle them just as good if not better than your 9 twist barrel.

ky-n
06-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have about decided to leave the J action as it is and get another action to build on. Now I will need to invest some time in figuring out what load works best.