PDA

View Full Version : Axis Loading Problem

Pages : 1 [2]

bigkahuna
10-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have this issue with my 3 week old Savage Axis II in .223. The problem is almost exactly as others have described: every once in a while the bolt doesn't load a shell correctly so I cannot completely close the bolt, have to pull it back 1/2" before the bolt will lock properly. About a week ago I replace the synthetic stock with a Boyds Lightweight Thumbhole stock and the problem became a little worse. With the new stock, the magazine won't even snap into the rifle unless the bolt is open (not a big issue), but in order for the first round to properly load, I have to hold the bottom of the magazine up against the rifle while I move the bolt forward. When the magazine is empty, it now takes two hands to remove the magazine, I have to use a thumb to push down from inside the chamber.

All in all, it's a real PITA to use and not up to the same level of quality as with other Savage rifles I've used. I'm guessing the problem is a combination of a poorly designed magazine and magazine seating area. There is no positive way of knowing if a magazine is seated properly and you have to "tinker" with it each time you load a new magazine. Like others here, I haven't found anyone who has spare magazines in stock, and I'm not even sure it's strictly a magazine issue.

I'll probably have to call Savage to get some help on this but am loath to shipping my new rifle back to them (and all the hassles associated with that) and would rather try to fix the problem myself if possible. Has anyone found a fix for this issue? What about a single shot sled, would that at least eliminate the loading issues?