PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this before ?

vern748
06-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I was pulling my hair out over this until I figured out the problem.

I recently mounted a EGW rail to my 110. Was looking to do some long range shooting and figured a nice 20moa 1 piece mount might be nice. I mounted it up and mounted the scope. I did a bore sight using my Simmons bore sighter. It has always worked well, but this time the sighter was low and left. Adjusting the POA to the center of the sighter I would run out of adjustment both vertical and horizontal. ??? Could not get it to the typical +4 vertical & 0 horizontal which puts me dead on most of the time.

Took the weapon to the range just to see if the bore sighter was correct. It was. I was shooting 2ft high and 1ft right. The scope would not adjust any more to bring it to the point of aim. ???

Rechecked with my bore sighter and confirmed the POA. Removed the scope and rings and replaced with a known good set. Same results. Low & Left.

Took the rings off and moved them front to back, left to right, no difference.

I recently bedded the stock, maybe I tweaked something ? Remove the barrel and recheck. Same results.
Low & Left. In fact, the POA did not change so I am once again happy with my bedding job...but another story.

I then removed my new EGW and replaced it with the older 2 piece rail, the one I remove to put the EGW one on. Low and behold, perfect alignment to POA. Scope centered with a good amount of adjustment in all directions.

So, did I get a bum EGW rail ? Has anyone seen this before ? Should I start hacking on the rail or call it a day and get a different brand.

Txhillbilly
06-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I would say you got a rail that is out of alignment.

RoyRP
06-15-2011, 09:42 PM
sounds like a bad rail. That be said,I have used egw many times on several rifles and never had a bad one. Is it possible that a left hand 20moa got put in the package? Seeing how the holes are the same front and back it's possible to put one on backwards. I am sure they are marked on the bottom but not sure if they are labelled left or right.

GaCop
06-16-2011, 07:39 AM
There are times a 20 MOA base will give you problems when tring to sight in at 100 yards. I'm using a 20 MOA base and Signature Zee rings with the +10 and -10 inserts on my Vortex Viper mounted on a 6.5 Lapua and have more than enought adjustment to get to 1k and was able to sight in at 100 yards.

vern748
06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
sounds like a bad rail. That be said,I have used egw many times on several rifles and never had a bad one. Is it possible that a left hand 20moa got put in the package? Seeing how the holes are the same front and back it's possible to put one on backwards. I am sure they are marked on the bottom but not sure if they are labelled left or right.

Hi Roy,

Thought of that. My 110 makes it easy, It has a flat rear receiver...so not possible to get it front to back. I could have dealt with the elevation difference, but the lateral adjustment was just not there.

Here is an update. ****************
I called EGW and talked to the sales manager (?) Jim and he was very helpful. I was looking information on if they had a bad batch or if this was a known issue. He mentioned that there was an issue with one of their rails and the Savage Lapua something. Savage incorrectly aligned the mount holes. Good information to know.

Out of the conversation Jim did offer to replace the mount for me. javascript:void(0); Since I have started to hack on the rail, I not going to take him up on the offer, but will buy another one just in case I did get a bum one the first time. Good to know they stand behind their products.!!!

TonyBen
06-16-2011, 05:53 PM
I guess bedding the scope mount is not an option?

http://www.murphyprecision.com/Page/Scope_Base_Bedding