PDA

View Full Version : Savage Target action

bhw4235
06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I am wanting to put together a 6.5X47 lapua. I am wanting to use a Savage target action. I want a RH bolt / Port. Is a Standard Caliber bolt head Target action SKU#18184 what I need to buy? Why is there not a long and short action in the target action? Is it because it is single shot and no Magazine? If so I could use it for a short or long action calibers?

Senderofan
06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I've only seen short target actions available. I have the dual port model on my 6mm Dasher and it is a single shot.....I'm thinking for increased rigidity...but this is just MHO. I'm not sure the port is long enough or big enough for....say a magnum caliber...but maybe someone else can shed light on that. I think Savage could easily produce a long action target model....maybe even a magnum version ( not saying that's what you're looking for. )

I think the model number you asked about would be the one you need.

I'm extremely pleased with my target action. Makes a great foundation for a reasonably priced...super accurate rifle!
Good Luck,

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/Senderofan/6mm%20Dasher/DSC01455.jpg

Wayne

bhw4235
06-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks,Senderofan. That is a good looking rifle you have, what stock did you use? Did you have to do anything different to the stock to use the target action?

thirty06
06-12-2011, 11:25 AM
But he lost his nut!!!

TOO Builder
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
I have built four rifles on the target action. 20VT, 6-6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5x55AI, and .223AI. Not sure why no long action either however I have no problems with the 6.5x55AI loaded with 130gr VLD's.

I'll second Senderofan, very happy with the results. These actions have allowed me to build very accurate rifles and have the satisfaction that I did it myself.

Senderofan
06-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks,Senderofan. That is a good looking rifle you have, what stock did you use? Did you have to do anything different to the stock to use the target action?

Thanks...The stock is a Stockade PD /Tactical with adjustable cheek and threeway butt. IMHO it is every bit as good as my McMillan A-5. Only difference is the color is molded in the McMillan. I purchased the action and stock from Kevin Rayhill of Stockade. He is responsible for the perfect fit of the action in the stock....he also bedded it before sending it on to me. Also had a T&T job and a small tactical knob put on.....thoroughly satisfied with everything.

Wayne

Senderofan
06-12-2011, 10:15 PM
But he lost his nut!!!

Well...I had Nuttin' to do with that one. My local gunsmith chambered the Krieger barrel I had ordered for this build. He thought the rifle would have better lines without the nut......except there's generally a nut behind the rig pullin' the trigger ;D. My smith did an excellent job....even though I lost the nut.

Maybe if there's enough buzz about not having a long action....or maybe a magnum action that is in their Target line....they might start making them. For the money....I think they are excellent actions. Really helps a lot of guys put together some amazingly accurate rigs and not have to take out a second mortgage to do it.

Wayne