PDA

View Full Version : If $ did not matter...

tropicmaster
10-31-2009, 08:39 PM
What would your top 3 range finder choices be? The Bushnell 1500 seems to have by far the best reviews, but is comparatively cheap. Normally I believe in " you get what you pay for", but that many reviews cant be wrong can they? I will be using it for light hunting/plinking, and rarely past 700 yards.

Fjold
10-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Leica 1200

geargrinder
10-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Hands down. Swaro, then the Leica 1200. I guess if money didn't matter I'd put some Leica Geovids in 3rd.

lwink
10-31-2009, 10:28 PM
this may not help a lot because the model is discontinued, but I guide hunting out west for a living and use the Bushnell Elite 1500 arc -- has everything I could ask for and more in a finder. Sure it's big and clunky, but I have ranged elk at over 800 yards in poor conditions and hit landmarks at 1700+ on a nice day. Just to give you a comparison, I use Swarov SLC binoculars and a Swarov spotting scope, have used the Leica rangefinding binocs, Leica spotting scopes, Zeiss binocs and conquest scopes, and most other "high dollar" euro glass in some form or fashion. That being said, I honestly don't think that I personally gain much with a rangefinder that costs any more than this one did. In fact, with all the glass out there (almost ;)) I get great discounts through work and I have no plans on switching rangefinders till mine dies. Glass comes down to personal opinion a lot, and confidence in what you are using is big, so many guys stick with Leica and Swarov and Zeiss, and for some aspects I'm right there with them, but some of the bushnell products of late are really going to compete in that same market, not to mention they are half the price (it's always an issue). That being said, I doubt you'll regret going bushnell for a rangefinder as long as it's one of their top shelf models with the most powerful laser you can get on that model.

pdog06
11-01-2009, 09:28 AM
I have a Leica LRF900 and it works outstanding. They dont make it anymore, but sure the CRF is just as good. The Swarovski's have a lifetime warranty but are also more expensive. If money didnt matter that would be my first choice I guess.

I had a Nikon Monarch800 and couldnt range anything past 400 yards while prarie dog hunting. Ended up returning it and buying the Leica.

Don - LongRangeSupply
11-01-2009, 02:59 PM
If money was no object, I would get a 20,000 meter Zeiss or Leica unit.

Since it does matter.....the top 4 choices from my hands on experience over several years are listed best first.

Swarovski Laserguide - without question the longest ranging laser rangefinder under $2000. It will hit 2000 meters. over 1 MILE, a full 1000+ yards farther than the Leica 1200. Glass is excellent and can be used for observation.

Bushnell Elite 1500 - out ranges the Leica 1200 in almost every situation by about 400 yards, costs quite a bit less. Negatives: optics are not that great for observation, some are lemons and need to be sent back.

Leica 1200 - A great rangefinder but it falls short on longer ranges. If you don't need to go past 700 yards, it is a nice unit but you can save some serious $ and do better with the Bushnell 1500. The only redeaming factor on the Leica is the size. It is the longest ranging unit of its size.

Newcon LRB 1500 binoculars - consistently ranging 1200 yards. I would put it before the Leica because it will outrange the Leica, but they are HUGE and heavy.