PDA

View Full Version : Action screw Sheared

GaCop
06-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Anyone ever have this happen with a factory screw? After arriving at the range, I was checking the screws on my 223 and the rear screw head twisted right of at the schank. I guess a good bedding job helped because the rifle still shot some fine groups before I packed up and went home. True Value had what I needed so all is well now AND I bought extras in case this ever happens again.

thomae
06-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Suggestion: figure out what torque is appropriate and use a torque wrench and some light duty thread adhesive.
Make sure you understand the differences between wet and dry torque. Sounds as if the action screw was overtorqued at some point. Better to have the action screw shear off instead of stripping the threads in the receiver.

For more information on wet and dry torque, take a look at this thread.
http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-44/135501-some-thoughts-wet-dry-torque-values-scope-mount-torques-etc.html#post1590991

All the best,
Thomae

GaCop
06-09-2011, 05:24 AM
a grade 8 replacement screw from True Value eliminated the problem. Being harder and beefier in the hex head than the factory screw, it will hold up better to torque forces.

I read the above information you supplied, very informative and has changed my way of thinking on bolt/screw tightening. Thanks thomae.