PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 111FCNS Build Advise Requested

Freese
06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
I've just bought my first Savage and now it's time to find a good gunsmith and get some work done to improve accuracy. I'd like to do the build a little at a time to see what each step does to improve accuracy. I'm currently shooting right around 1 MOA at 200 yards using Hornady Superformance 165gr SSTs. My current scope is a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14X50. I know hand loads will improve accuracy but my reloading gear is in transit at the moment. My initial plans are to install a McMillan Savage Hunter stock and Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 scope using Warne Rings and base. That's the easy part. So, what do you recommend i do next, and can you recommend a good gunsmith between San Diego and Phoenix?...

airaddict
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
bed the action first and see what that does to accuracy. might as well get an aftermarket recoil lug as well before you bed it so i wont have to drill it out later to put one in. IMO thats the cheapest before you start putting $300+ barrels on and T&T the action.

brian

ellobo
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
After shooting for awhile, check for copper. Savage barrels do copper up a bit. What you are proposing seems to be on the right track. You dont need a gunsmith, most gunsmiths have no clue what to do with Savage rifles because they arnt Remingtons. Just make sure your barrel and tang are free floated and you should be good to go.

El Lobo