PDA

View Full Version : Little Help

dwa
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
which one would you start tinkering with. the shots are the first cold bore shots on each and had a boresnake run through it. The other two grouped with fouling in the barrel and appoximatly 2 minutes between shots 1 and 2 and the same with shots 2 and 3. Basically do I start with the group that is the tighest or the group that has the tightest after fouling. thanks Iam a novice at doing this stuff so thanks in advance.

The rifle is my Stevens 200 that I had rechambered to 25-06 from a .270, new stock, bedded action, free floated barrel, homebrew trigger work. it is wearing a Leopold vxII with stoney point knobs on toop of just plain old weaver mounts and a weaver picatanny rail.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0664.jpg

first 3 round group.
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0669.jpg

second

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/nosightsneeded/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0670.jpg

ellobo
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
You must have meant rebarreled not rechambered as you cant go from a .270 bore to a smaller bore like a .25. Check to see if your tang is also free floated. The mounting bolts on a Savage do not go into the tang like on a Remington. Dble check your barrel float. Check to see that your front scope mtg scres on the rail are not too long and are contacting the barrel which lets your mount loose in the front of the receiver. Did you use guages to do the headspacing when you swapped barrels? Which maker of barrels did you get the .25-06 from? Did you bed it with the other barrel on it? What range did you shoot those shots at? Most barrels will shoot better with some fouling. What ammo are you using? Try some groups with a fouled barrel and if it is a sporter wgt barrel let the barrel cool between shots more. Answer some of those questions and you will get a lot more information on your question.

El Lobo

dwa
06-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Yeah I got the smith to change out the barrels and bed the new stock with the new ERShaw barrel. He better have used the go/nogo gauges. tang isnt floated plan on doing this tommorow but the barrel is floated nice. The bullets are hand loaded with 85 grain nosler ballistic tips with 51.5 and 52 grains H4831sc

dwa
06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
also shots taken at 100 yards. which load would you start working on.

SMK Shoe
06-07-2011, 01:01 AM
I would keep shooting the same two loads for awhile. I always try to shoot the first 100 rds in a couple of different powder charges. let's me get use to the gun / stock / trigger / load. By the time I'm settled in, i've cleaned the barrel a few times and it will start to show you a pattern of what it likes and doesn't like. With only two groups how do you know you didn't pull one out of a good group or accidentally pulled one into a bad group. Just not enough groups to see what the barrel likes. I try to use the first 100 to run from min to max powder charge. 20 rds min charge ( 10 to get on paper and 2 five rd shot groups) then 10 rounds ( 2 x 5 rd groups) at each .3-.5 grain powder increase till I hit max charge or pressure signs develop. That at least gives me a good starting point. hope this helps. :D :D

dwa
06-07-2011, 07:31 AM
yes actually it helps alot. Iam going to load 10 of each again and try that. thanks.

GaCop
06-08-2011, 08:06 AM
You should see an improvement in groups when the tang is floated. Also, double check that the barrel doesn't have a pressure point somewhere along the channel when it warms up. Some times problems like that don't show up when the barrel is cold.

SFLEFTY
06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Certainly a nice looking rifle. :)

DanSavage
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I really like that rifle, I going to bet that the first load will be better. ;D

keeki
06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
thats actually a pretty light load for 85gr Nbt. Ive been loading 25-06 in 4 different guns for 20+years and ive never had one perform good yet unless i was close to max load. put some powder in that thing and if that dont work go get some rl-17