PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it?

dwa
06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I have an standard short barrel AR, but for some reason I have been wanting an Edge to jack around with in .223. I get all the ammo that I want for free from a relaoder friend as long as I bring him brass. should I expect it to shoot the same as my AR or better. I see alot of different reviews. I am not looking for a target gun just a fun shooter. I could possibly pass it to my daughter when she starts to hunt whitetail.

bootsmcguire
06-06-2011, 07:13 PM
The one Axis/Edge I have shot was in 243. Obviously they are not made the same as the 110/Stevens 200 Series rifles, so inspect the quality of fit and finish and see if that meets your needs. As far as accuracy, the two problems I saw with the Axis I shot (and a couple others I have handled in the shops) is opening up the stock and be sure that the barrel is free floating. The one that I shot had a horribly stiff trigger. It broke fairly clean but must have been 10lbs.

Put on a trigger and free float the barrel and you will be happy with the accuracy I am sure.

dacaur
06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I doubt there are any bolt action rifles sold today that cant beat a standard AR for accuracy... AR's arent exactly tack drivers (without extensive/expensive work)

dmpowder
06-07-2011, 01:54 AM
I doubt there are any bolt action rifles sold today that cant beat a standard AR for accuracy... AR's arent exactly tack drivers (without extensive/expensive work)

I will put my stock AR up against ANY bolt action rifle you own! AR's today are not the same as they were in the 60's!

To the OP I thought the same thing so I sold one of my uppers and got me a Edge in a .243 and while I do love it and it shoots great but I still grab the AR for hunting. Also if your wanting to "jack around" with a bolt action rifle only get the Edge/Axis if all your wanting to do is shoot it. If by chance your wanting a new stock and all the other fancy stuff you may wanna look at a Stevens or other Savage due to not many aftermarket stuff for the Edge/Axis YET!!

dwa
06-07-2011, 01:53 PM
yeah nothing fancy. just looking to mess around with it. Problably get it and cut the barrel down to 16 1/4" and use have some fun.