PDA

View Full Version : Will the grooved barrel nut fit the Accu-Stock without modifying the stock?

hunter540
06-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I just received my new Model16 FHSS in 300 savage, and I want to switch the barrel to the 250 Savage barrel that I just purchased.

For now, I'm going to keep it in the the Accu-Stock that came with the rifle. This rifle uses the new smooth barrel nut, and I'm wondering if I can just remove it with a pipe wrench and replace it with the grooved nut, without modifying the aluminum frame in the stock? Or, should I keep the smooth nut and get the smooth nut wrench from SSS?

I thought I'd check with those who have experience with the Accu-Stock.

Also, this Accu-Stock has the "wedge", and I may just leave it out when I put the stock back on the rifle. This was recommended on another thread.

Thanks in advance.

John

airaddict
06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
i have a model 16 fhsak in 308win. i am currently renovating it w a mcgowan barrel and bead blasted texture. ive talked to SSS and lisa has told me the smooth nut and grooved one are the exact same specs except for the grooves so they are interchangable. the grooved one is just easier to remove.

mine also has the wedge but i upgraded to an SSS recoil lug (which is accustock compatible and is not listed on their website and has the locating pin since the factory one doesnt) which is now to big to use the wedge so im gonna do without it since savage abandoned the wedge idea anyway.

i also plan to keep this rifle w the accustock and build another for bedding in a nice thumbhole laminate stock.
2 rifles are better than one!! :)

brian

hunter540
06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks Brian.

Good Information.

I'll check on the recoil lug when I call SSS for the barrel nut and lighter trigger spring.

John

airaddict
06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
as for the trigger spring. they do not make a lighter one. i adjusted mine by clipping a coil or so until the pull ended up at 14oz and then rebending the very end of the coil up to go in the little pin hole that keeps the spring from moving right nder the tang.

i did order another accutrigger spring from SSS so i can have an unaltered one for hunting....14oz is scary light and i would only use it for matches and target work. that spring is super hard so it helps having 2 pairs of needlenose pliers.

brian b

Freese
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm about to replace the recoil lug in my 111FCNS and would like to put the older style barrel nut on my rifle at the same time. Can I use the parts finder on Savage's website or do I have to find another source? I don't know if they will show both types of barrel nut when I enter my rifle s/n.

airaddict
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
the accustock needs the parallel sides recoil lug to fit into the stock right. save urself waiting time on the phone with savage and call lisa with SSS. Shes a sweetheart and very learn-ed when it comes to all things savage. they can set u up with the right recoil lug and nut.

heres a hint. if u call and the lines busy, which it is a lot of the time, email her with what ur wanting and provide a call back number and she will call u back when she gets a free second. ive done that a few times and it makes her life easier and i dont have to keep callin and hearing the busy signal.

brian b