PDA

View Full Version : Action Wrench problem

emfour
06-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,

I bought the "action wrench #2" from MidwayUSA. I failed to inspect it first... and used it to successfully remove a stubborn barrel nut. When I removed the wrench from the action, I noticed a line around part of the action where the bluing was gone. It seems that there is a 'ring' in the wrench (handle side) near the back edge that I don't think should be there. The photo is worth lots-o-words:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee496/emfour4/barrelwrench2.jpg

I don't see this mentioned in the single page of instructions so I don't think it is supposed to be there. Has anyone else seen this on these wrenches? It looks like a job for the dremel.

emfour

EDIT: I had posted it as a "barrel" wrench, it's the action wrench.

northlander
06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
I always advise my customers to break the edges with a file and then to apply a single thickness of Cuct Tape to avoid any action finish damage. You will have to cut a small access hole in the duct tape for the 1/4-28 front action bolt to avoid any rotation but the rest is all good.

Jim Briggs
NSS

pdog06
06-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Yeah, mine does not have a lip on it like that. I would grind it down flat.

One other thing they dont come with is a small recession for the recoil lug pin so that the lug will slide all the way back against the lug cutout in the wrench. I simply ground one out with my dremel and it worked perfect. You may not need this with a factory lug, but you will with a SSS or NSS lug due to the larger pin.

emfour
06-06-2011, 07:58 AM
I didn't think that it belonged there - but it doesn't look like a 'burr' or other left-over junk from machining, it has a nice clean radius to it... but it's gone asap. I'll check into the clearance for the recoil lug pin as well.

Thanks for the help!

jlcpls
06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
IIRC, I think the potterfield video on using the action wrench advocates a brass shim to be placed in the radius to prevent action damage.

emfour
06-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I did have a heavy piece of paper in there per what I've read on this forum, but the ring around the edge sticks up about 0.030". I didn't look closely enough at it... it's plainly visible but I was in a hurry and it was a little dark (excuses, excuses). I can fix the bluing well enough, no big deal. I'm going to give Midway a call so they can check the rest of their stock. I might not have the only wrench like this.

EDIT: I called Midway and spoke with someone in customer service. They were thankful that I called and asked if I wanted to exchange it, apologized, etc., I said it was easier for me to fix this one rather than mess around trying to ship this one back. They gave me a $10 credit for my troubles - this is why I have been dealing with them since the early 1990's and will continue to. They also gave me an email address so I could send the photo and they could see exactly what I was talking about.

SMK Shoe
06-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I have the same action block and no lip.

+1 on dealing with midway. I've been buying from them since the late 80's when it was a paper mailer that you wrote out the order form and mailed a check and hoped the stuff was in stock. The only thing depressing about Midway is looking at my order history. I have spent ALOT of $$$$$ over the years. I tried to add it up one time and stopped when I hit the 12k $$$ amount. If wifey knew I would be moving into the dog house. But I still love midway. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bythebook
06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I had the same thing and did not notice it until I took it off . I used a round file to file it off, it looks like when they cut the hole in the block the bit or reamer did not go the whole way thru. I had to touch up a little spot of bluing but you can hardly see it.

Smokey262
06-07-2011, 07:13 PM
If wifey knew I would be moving into the dog house. But I still love midway. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

She knows. You should see what she has spent at the shoe store :)

jglover_81
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
If wifey knew I would be moving into the dog house. But I still love midway. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

She knows. You should see what she has spent at the shoe store :)

That hits too close to home to be funny..... :-\

emfour
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
I had the same thing and did not notice it until I took it off . I used a round file to file it off, it looks like when they cut the hole in the block the bit or reamer did not go the whole way thru. I had to touch up a little spot of bluing but you can hardly see it.

Yep, that is exactly how I did mine: Noticed it afterwards and then used a little Oxphoblue and it looks fine. It's getting painted anyway, assuming it shoots when I'm all done. As for the wrench, I used a dremel and a cylindrical stone to carefully grind it out. It looks fine...