PDA

View Full Version : corelock bullets

whitetail
10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Does anyone know what year Remington started making corelock bullets? Thanks, WhitetaIl

Eric in NC
10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
From the Remington site:

"In 1939, Remington Arms Company Inc. set the world standard in centerfire rifle ammunition design and performance with the advent of the Core-Lokt bullet. This new bullet design was based around the thicker mid-section of its heavy metal jacket which mechanically locked to its inner lead core. The Core-Lokt bullet was the first controlled expansion bullet that provided hunters with minimum bullet break-up and deep penetration on game. Over the years, Remington has refined the original Core-Lokt design and perfected the manufacturing processes used to produce it. Now, nearly 70 years after its introduction, the Remington® Core-Lokt bullet has taken more big game than any other bullet on the market. Generations of hunters have trusted Remington Core-Lokt to put meat on the table and trophies on their walls."

May I ask why you want to know?

whitetail
10-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info. Interesting. I started hunting almost 50 years ago. And my memory is not so good, but i have shot most of my game with corelocks over the years. Yesterday a 15 year old boy here shot a 6x6 bull elk with corelocks that I provided him with. We were talking about the great job the bullet did and I told him that corelocks were around before I started hunting but could not tell him when they started making them. Now I can tell him. Another generation is starting with them. Thanks for your reply, Whitetail

Eric in NC
10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I have always found them to work well in anything from 243 to 30/30 to 30-06. I don't think they are up to the super high velocity modern magnums but for "standard" cartridges they work fine.

44magyota
10-31-2009, 02:25 PM
They don't work well in my 7mm rem mag. They shoot sub 1" all day long...but performance is horrible. The deer i shot last year with corelokt bullets just zipped right through. hardly any expansion. Plus they destroyed both shoulders....and hind flank.

Der Verge
10-31-2009, 10:15 PM
they destroyed both shoulders....and hind flank.

What a bullet destroys is a matter of shot placment, not so much bullet construction.

xj4me
10-31-2009, 10:41 PM
i hunt whitetail with 100gr core lokts out of my .243 and everyone ive shot has fallen within 10 yds.