PDA

View Full Version : Switch Barrel in practice?

youngtrout
06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Quick question for those of you who run a switch barrel rifle,,,, as in week to week even

I'm in the process of putting together a 6.5 Lapua, varmit barrel, heavier stock, etc.

I have an additional stock I'm going to skeltonize, and am still looking for a 308 barrel, in somthing like 18 inches.

My plan all along was to just build the Lapua, but I have a wild hair I need to satisfy. Just wanted to see how light of a savage I can build, and also how the shorter barrel does over the chrono. That and it gives me a loaner rifle of sorts for the couple times I may need one in a year

Anyway, the plan, as it is in my head would be to bed action in both stocks,,,,allowing for the nut to be free floated as well, or at least not engaged into the wrench cut-outs.

My real question is headspace. I want to be able to put the barrel EXACTLY back into the same, no to little headspace condition each time. Say you had a little less or a little more headspace, all that fireforming and case prep would be lost.

Could I index using a scribed line? Some type of stop? Just wanted to poll to see what others are doing?

Thanks

Eric in NC
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
An index or witness mark works. You can also lock the nut to the barrel (set screw, loc-tite, etc.) but I don't trust that not to change as threads wear etc.

yorketransport
06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm having pretty good luck using a set screw to lock the nut to the barrel. It only take a couple minutes to drill and tap a hole in the nut.

Andrew

tyler.woodard04
06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
ive been wondering that same thing and even posted on 6BR about it. do you have any pics and specs on the set screws you used? I was looking at some dog point screws with the point going into a tight counter bore in the barrel.

bsekf
06-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I use witness marks.

Has anybody actually done any research is see if a quarter turn longer makes any difference in accuracy and "sweet spot" load? I realize you can&#39;t make it shorter (cases wouldn&#39;t chamber), but I really don&#39;t think absolute "fit" is necessary. I often get best accuracy when fireforming. I can&#39;t believe <.01 would effect barrel harmonics. I am not sure, but do not believe <.01 would cause case separation.

Bill